Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

$1.25 wonder...Aires Viscount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: $1.25 wonder...Aires Viscount Reply with quote

One of my favorite cameras and again one that functions as it did when new.

Bought for $1.25 plus $5.00 shipping it is my best deal so far.

It took 2 days to get the cob webs (yes cob webs) and dust along with a nasty coating of tobacco residue removed. Again I used rubbing alcohol and a soft micro fiber cloth to do it. I threw the cloth away afterward as it was too nasty to try cleaning.

The results speak for themselves. The shutter on this camera is the smoothest and quietest I have used so far. The lens is tack sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Camera ! I like seikosha shutters. My lynx5000 is QUIET too. But nowhere near as handsome as this camera.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great acquisition and a fine camera. All Aires models I've seen have rugged, high quality build and are beautifully finished. I think they are among Japan's best from that era. Too bad their marketing wasn't better -- they may have survived longer and given us more cameras to play with. I would love to have a 35V outfit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
Sweet Camera ! I like seikosha shutters. My lynx5000 is QUIET too. But nowhere near as handsome as this camera.

The Lynx is a great camera but function before form ruled there. They tried to make a pretty one here and luckily they made a good functioning one as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Great acquisition and a fine camera. All Aires models I've seen have rugged, high quality build and are beautifully finished. I think they are among Japan's best from that era. Too bad their marketing wasn't better -- they may have survived longer and given us more cameras to play with. I would love to have a 35V outfit.

I'd like one too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically the same camera as the III/IIIL series, the frame, winder, film transport, etc. are nearly identical. Many parts can be interchanged.

The big improvements are the return to sanity with the aperture control, the automatic parallax compensation, and the rangefinder patch is better defined and brighter.

You have a beauty there. I got a cheapo too, but on mine the silvering on the glass front plate is nearly gone, ruining the looks. Its also got a broken rangefinder probe. I'm sure I can replace that, but right now its all just a box of parts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice looking camera. You sure did a nice job of cleaning it up. Who ever had it must not have used it much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, basically the same camera as the III/IIIL series, the frame, winder, film transport, etc. are nearly identical. Many parts can be interchanged.

The big improvements are the return to sanity with the aperture control, the automatic parallax compensation, and the rangefinder patch is better defined and brighter.

You have a beauty there. I got a cheapo too, but on mine the silvering on the glass front plate is nearly gone, ruining the looks. Its also got a broken rangefinder probe. I'm sure I can replace that, but right now its all just a box of parts.

Keep looking my friend. I will too. If I get another such deal I'll send it your way. It is truly an over looked gem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
A very nice looking camera. You sure did a nice job of cleaning it up. Who ever had it must not have used it much.

Lots of work to clean it but well worth the effort. I think the same. Not hardly used at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real work of functional art, restored with loving care.
Great to see.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
A real work of functional art, restored with loving care.
Great to see.

Thank you Kram. I know some of my collection will one day find it's way back on Ebay, but this one's a keeper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any samples from this camera?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Any samples from this camera?

Yes but the scans look bad. The prints are great. I'll try rescanning in the morning and post them here.