Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica TL + Yashinon 50/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Yashica TL + Yashinon 50/2 Reply with quote

I bought the camera today. I can't seem to find any information about it, just the TL-Electro and TL-Super. This one is called just TL. Do any of you know anything about it?
It has got m42 screw mount.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late 1960s, if I remember correctly. Straightforward camera, mechanical shutter, stop down metering with a moving needle, solidly made and takes just about any M42 lens you can find Very Happy A bit "clunky" compared to a Pentax S1a (which was then THE market leader) but a good workhorse of a camera.

The TL-electro and Super had electronically controlled shutters and lights in the finder to indicate correct exposure. Well, think they did. Yashica trotted out a lot of different models in fairly quick succession and in diferent degrees of complexity. The seem to be overlooked and possibly under-rated these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I'll probably sell it, so I wanted to know what am I selling Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica TL + Yashinon 50/2 Reply with quote

Volunteer wrote:
I bought the camera today. I can't seem to find any information about it, just the TL-Electro and TL-Super. This one is called just TL. Do any of you know anything about it?
It has got m42 screw mount.

I owned a TL-Super at the time. I think the TL may have been a simplified version of that, with a 1/500 top shutter speed. Pentax cameras were more rugged and better built, but when my Yashica TL-Super and collection of Vivitar and Soligor lenses was stolen in 1971 I didn't go to Pentax but in a different direction. I had owned several Yashica cameras before the TL-Super, but I wasn't wild about screw-thread mounting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TL is indeed like the TL Super but without the 1/1000 second shutter speed. Both have fully mechanical shutters. The battery only powers the meter, which, in many cases is dead by now. Construction is rock solid.

The Yashinon DX and DS 50mm/2 lenses (M42 screw mount) are outstanding. The optical design is 6 elements in 5 groups (like those Voigtlander Ultron lenses that had a conventional convex front element). The front element is recessed enough to make a lens hood generally unnecessary. The DX version has a tab to switch between manual and auto actuation of the aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Yashica stop down lever, you can operate it with either hand and in both landscape and portrait.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good m42 camera. One warning is the mirror. It seems the glue they used to secure the mirror glass to the mirror frame gives up quite easily after all these years.
I've seen that in several of Yashica cameras from that era.