Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Walk With Canon SSC 50 1.4 and Jupiter 9 = Bokeh Much?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: A Walk With Canon SSC 50 1.4 and Jupiter 9 = Bokeh Much? Reply with quote

So I had some time today for a walk with my camera, and I wanted to capture the bokeh of both lenses.

I didnt process the pictures, just converted from raw to jpeg and resized for the forum. shot with canon 60D on manual with Auto WB.

I really like the sharp performance of the canon 50 1.4 SSC, and really like its bokeh too, I can just say that its a great performer and you dont have to worry about contrast loss or flaring when you are casually using it.

1 The Canon trademark bokeh

5 - BOKEH Branch

6 Crazy highlights

7 Really close focus

8 No bokeh here, but a nice looking tree. Also wide open

Then I took the Jupiter 9, before the warm light disappeared
I guess I was a tad late thou..

1 Silky smooth transitions

2 This lens will make any car look sexy

3 I like the rendering

4 Smooths out the background even from afar

5 Magical look

6 Again the smoothness Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I too think the Canon 50mm f1.4 is a very good lens for sharpness, I don't have a Zeiss to compare it with but my initial tests show it is better than the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 which on one site the Hexi is highly rated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should Process some of these ,they would look a lot better IMO

Especially the windmill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the Canon 50/1.4 shots wide open?

I have that lens but after a chart test against my Minolta 50/1.4 I just put it in the cupboard. I must take it out for a real world trial.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes all wide open

and yes sure i will process some but for the general impression I decided to show the result as is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like "as is" results ,these are require processing. Only best lenses not require processing, but with a little processing many lens can close to best ones.No processing not means lens it self, it means your camera electronic, your camera personal settings etc.
When I bought my Olympus E-1 all picture did look crap, a sharpness, contrast, saturation was increased by me in camera body, result was way better than before. When I did shift to Sony NEX and Samsung NX100 unprocessed result was also big step to right direction after 4/3 and micro 4/3 . So my conclusion is show best what you can get from a lens, PP is essential , crap lens like Sigma zoom will remain crap even best PP Laughing but a J-9 like yours will be way better with PP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig my 50/1.4 SSC out of the cupboard & took a couple quick shots & applied my standard preset processing.

1. Cricket, our cat. f2.0

2. Juniper berries. f2.8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bokeh my 50/1.4 SSC produces.

Wide open:

Wide open:

Stopped down some:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the cat and the berries, also the stopped down rose Smile

i took some shots with canon ssc 50 1.4 vs an m42 super takumar 50 1.4, didnt see a big differance only bokeh wise, smoother with the canon, and maybe the canon is just a tiny bit sharper, but of course the takumar is way smaller and lighter in that regard.

i going to attend a big convention soon so i hope to post alot of pictures/portraits with my "best" lenses next week..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: More with the SSC 50/1.4 Reply with quote

Daughter came over with her dogs yesterday wanting pics of them. It was late day, heavy overcast @ last light. I used an old Braun hammerhead flash with the lens set to f5.6 on my G1 camera.

3. Heavy crop from a two dog shot.