Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

lens identification please - described as Fotar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: lens identification please - described as Fotar Reply with quote

Have agreed to buy this lens through that online auction site, any details please. Seller has listed it as a Fotar lens 500mm, although a pic shows it as 200/600, Japanese manufacture, length one foot six, screw mount, is this M42 or T2?

Thanks from someone who has discovered the bargains regarding older MF lenses, even though the 99p win on that site was damaged by....that giant hand?? and no longer avaliable for sale. Next up Yashica 28-80, cleaning marks to rear glass £1.20, Miranda 75-300 £5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: lens identification please - described as Fotar Reply with quote

kennethwfd wrote:

Have agreed to buy this lens through that online auction site, any details please. Seller has listed it as a Fotar lens 500mm, although a pic shows it as 200/600, Japanese manufacture, length one foot six, screw mount, is this M42 or T2?

Thanks from someone who has discovered the bargains regarding older MF lenses, even though the 99p win on that site was damaged by....that giant hand?? and no longer avaliable for sale. Next up Yashica 28-80, cleaning marks to rear glass £1.20, Miranda 75-300 £5

Looks like a common 500mm f/8 preset to me. Many of these have misted rear elements, although the lens will still be sharp. The lens is T2 and may have an M42 mount included, or it may be something else Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right you are.

Its the same simple old thing sold in dozens of brands.

Most are T2, but I think we've been surprised in a case or two where the mount is fixed.

It wouldn't be marked as 200/600 on the lens, where is it so marked ? These weren't dual f/l or anything exotic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: lens identification please - described as Fotar Reply with quote

Quote:

I`m not 100% sure , but it might be a M42 Tele-Raynox 6,3/400 lens. From what I have seen they are the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: lens identification please - described as Fotar Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Quote:

I`m not 100% sure , but it might be a M42 Tele-Raynox 6,3/400 lens. From what I have seen they are the same.

Given that the seller has listed it as a 500mm lens, that's probably what it is Laughing The 400mm version is a bit shorter I believe Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for above seller has already replied that it is a screw fit, could therefore be T2 or M42 as only the thread is different. The lens shows 15 to 200 in orange, which I assume is metres and , and 50 to 600 which I asssume is feet - that part has not been photographed. It is apparently quite a beast of a lens, measuring approx 1ft 6 inches hope second pic has uploaded

try thishttp://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=324853&image=526766325&images=526766008,526766136,526766

" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190607079053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the ebay tags with the item number in the middle to show auction details:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately the classic 500/8 preset found under millions of different names. Not a bad performer either! It will certainly match the 500mm mirror lenses in the class, while providing more light and producing smoother bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens comes in T2, M42 and many other mounts.
There are at least two slightly different versions, one with 72mm and one (newer) with 67mm filter thread.

In Germany, Switzerland and Austria it's called (and also sold as) "Wundertüte" (="suprise packet"). It's very common here. I can find them on every flee market here for 30-55€ Smile
It was mostly sold with M42 mount under the brand name "Beroflex"... you can find many examples in the web under this name.
Cheap and easy in production but decent quality.

But I thought was and is made by Samyang in South Korea and not in Japan!?
Or does it have more than one manufacturer?

All important informations: http://www.samyang.pl/product,82,category,5,samyang_500mm_f8_preset_if_mc

It costs new and unused about 130-180€

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for above info