Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ideas how to ultilize canon fd 85/1.2 to themax?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Ideas how to ultilize canon fd 85/1.2 to themax? Reply with quote

Just won a canon fd 85/1.2.
Can i use it with a nex? Or better convert it to dslr? Canon FF or nikon FF or whatever dslr?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be coonverted to other mounts by a professional, there are conversion kits to simply swap the mount to EF on ebay. NEX is wonderful, FD-NEX adapter commonly available.

Depends what cameras you already have I suppose. I heartily recommend the NEX, great images.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
... there are conversion kits to simply swap the mount to EF on ebay.....

I know these for the Canon 55/1.2 - but not for the 85/1.2?

Conversion (reversible) to EF mount is the hardest I have done until now:
German Page: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD_85_1.2L-EF-Bajonett-Umbau.html
There are several options:
- Reversible or One Way
- For use with EOS 5D and others with or without camera mirror shaving (without infinity and with/without optical design change)

Stan from http://www.cameraserviceone.com/ does FD-EF conversion.
Ed Mika has tought about conversion kit, but as far as I know it is not available up to now.

To the max is 24x36mm camera with shaved mirror - my opinon.
Nex or other smaller sensors doesn´t use full designed image are - not maximum.
Some / one use it on medium format camera - and others want to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the infos.
I can live without infinity as long as the range can be within 10-12m.
Irreversible convertion to EF looks fine, but Nex can also be a solution (not FF).
May be Nex w adapter is the cheapest mean to use it?

How is it to MF on a nex?
I heard newer nex firmware make it more userfriendly for MF w the LV.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a camera with a smaller sensor than the lens was intended for means you won't get the optimal use out of it. It is still very nice to use with a NEX. Since the DoF at f/1.2 is razor thin liveview is the best way to focus anyway, even on cameras that have other options. I haven't found the peaking in the new firmware to make a great difference, I found MF to be quite userfriendly to start with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas how to ultilize canon fd 85/1.2 to themax? Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Just won a canon fd 85/1.2.
Can i use it with a nex? Or better convert it to dslr? Canon FF or nikon FF or whatever dslr?

FD 85 1.2 L reversible EdMika EF conversion kit Coming soon to Canon. Best guess on timing, February-March 2012. I have prototypes/proof of concepts for both nFD bayonet mount L and FD breech lock Aspherical versions. Also testing a version that can reach infinity on a 5D without mirror interference with rear element and no mirror shave mod. -Ed Mika

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for that info too Wink Thanks alot.
Does it mean that I have to send the lens to you for modify or something I can do it myself?
Mine is FDn mount, black finish with red ring, 85/1.2 L. Photos uploaded on my picasa.

I can wait until February Wink the nex7 wont be available soon Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I was looking for that info too Wink Thanks alot.
Does it mean that I have to send the lens to you for modify or something I can do it myself?
Mine is FDn mount, black finish with red ring, 85/1.2 L. Photos uploaded on my picasa.

I can wait until February Wink the nex7 wont be available soon Wink

It will be a do it yourself kit. It will be quite a bit more complicated than any kits I have sold to date though both in kit design and in difficulty in doing the conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Omar, and very nice pics.

I am in a waiting mode for the moment.
I use pentax mainly. It seems like the nex is a good compromise for me. I have several nikkor, OM, canon FDn that I would like to keep, prefer as-is. These lenses are as new. Modify will reduce its value, and have to mod each lens basis. I just can't wait to use the 85/1.2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I have several nikkor, OM, canon FDn that I would like to keep, prefer as-is. These lenses are as new. Modify will reduce its value, and have to mod each lens basis. I just can't wait to use the 85/1.2.

Using a conversion kit would mean the mount change is reversible, if I'm not mistaken. So the value will not be reduced in that case. Sometimes people will pay more for a converted lens even (if the conversion is done well).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF mount conversion should be safe for the 85/1.2.
While other brand still can be used with an adapter and 5dm2.. Ya most cases.
Also i have too many same focal same speed, like 50/1.4, from many manufacturer. There is no point to convert all of them. Same as FD lenses, until the 85/1.2 arrives..