Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macabre subject (warning) ...the spider and the lizard
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Macabre subject (warning) ...the spider and the lizard Reply with quote

This really disturbed me when I saw it (Just had to grab the camera though!) and thought it was an impossible scenario.I zoomed in on the lizard and to my horror it was still alive with this spider attached...we are talking a baby lizard about 2-3cms long and a spider that I thought was rather "safe". I hope it does not disturb you to much or is really in bad taste...it is just something you don't expect to see.

#4 Just before I released the lizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are truly superb captures. I suggest submitting one or more of them to an art journal and see if they get picked up. They're orders of magnitude better than a lot of the photos I see in top-tier art journals in the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shot Mo,
that's nature. law of the jungle. We shouldn't disturb the cycle of nature. let it happen. sometimes it disturbed us, but that's how their live goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On nature programmes I see, some Australian spiders have deadly poisons so it doesn't surprise me it could take on a lizard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot!... (Not a very nice subject to me, but it has an undoubtful nature interest).
I agree with David, all them are excellent shots, technically and from an artistic and scientific view.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,The lizard got eaten by ants in the end I guess the spider bite took a lot out of it...(no pun intended)...The spider I think is of the "daddy long legs" variety,you know the one that is common in houses creates all the cobwebs.I know its not the best subject matter, more like a curiosity something you may not see again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If lizard was still alive why don't you try to rescue it ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great captures! and happy end as you released the lizard Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Mo! Rarely seen nature...

Have the Grand-daddy Long Legs there too? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If lizard was still alive why don't you try to rescue it ?

I did Attila,I took it from the web and put it into the garden where I thought it would be safe and recover...but sadly the ants found it. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo: I have a strikingly similar photo of the same thing that happened on my back porch. With your permission I will share.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series Moira, part of the life cycle though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Mo: I have a strikingly similar photo of the same thing that happened on my back porch. With your permission I will share.

Please do,keep all the nightmares in one spot... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Oh, the HORROR Reply with quote

Thanks, Mo. My experience was almost exactly the same. I saw this anole caught in the web with the spider on its back. In this case the spider is a brown widow, a relative of the black widow. The lizard appeared alive by some occasional jerky movements, but I suspect they were just nerve impulses. I freed the lizard, not necessarily thinking it could survive, but I was upset by this spider sitting on its back sucking the life from it. The lizard had no life in it and the spider sped off in hiding. My theory is that the young lizard, maybe inexperienced in such matters, jumped from above in an attempt to eat the spider, but instead became entangled in the web. You can see where the initial bite is by the black circle on the tail, and you can see how the poison traveled by the discoloration. I favor the little anoles over the creepy spiders - after all, they pose for me when I have no other willing models. I identified the spider from the photo and learned of their unique looking egg pods. I then went around outside the house locating a disturbingly large number of the creepy crawlers and wreaked havoc on them, thus gaining revenge for the poor little lizard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story and thanks for posting.....the spiders do look similar in body shape,but you have the best colored lizard.I have to ask what lens did you use? Mine was the macro Tak 4/50. A very unnerving subject in what can actually get caught in a spiders web and become food, must happen more than we know. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember it was very dim lighting at the rear of the covered porch. I used a tripod and a slow shutter speed with a standard Komine Vivitar 135mm and short extension tube. It was what I had on the camera at the time. At least I got the spider in focus, although It could be sharper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details...I just rushed and use the macro Handheld...I probably should have just taken my time for a better shot.