Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I just won a Sigmatel 135/1.8 fast telephoto
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: I just won a Sigmatel 135/1.8 fast telephoto Reply with quote

I was surprised to get this fast 135mm F/1.8 telephoto (Click here to see on Ebay) for a decent price, as I thought it would fetch a much higher price (it's offered for sale here for $525). This lens was manufactured by Sigma and used the short-lived YS interchangeable mount developped by Sigma to compete with the Tamron Adaptall system. It comes with the M42 mount and a cheap M42 doubler.

This lens was also sold under the Spiratone, Soligor and Porst brands. It is a scaled up copy of a 135mm Zeiss Sonnar. A very interesting lens. Here is the optical diagram from Pete Ganzel's pBase page:

Compare with the Jupiter-11 Sonnar clone:

Picture linked from Krasnogorsky Zavod's website

And here's the lens:

Picture linked from: http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/sigmatel135.htm

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations ! I've always wanted one of those. They are rather rare.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Attila has the Spiratone branded version and has shown some nice shots. It's a lens on my wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice lens for a nice price! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiice. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Abbazz! Nice price

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the widest part of the lens is basically solid glass? Must weigh a ton.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great piece of glass - congratulations, Abbazz! I'm a bit jealous Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
So, the widest part of the lens is basically solid glass? Must weigh a ton.

830g. That's a massive lens, could prove useful in dark places Wink

There's a photograph of the middle triple compound group on Pete Ganzel's page: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/image/71179359

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely a lens to look for. Congratulations! And such a good price!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: 1.8/135mm Reply with quote

just bought one in a junk shop.
Pentax K-mount, like new, for € 5.00 including case.
It's the Porst MC variety.

Bart. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear winner in bargain! Congrats and welcome to see you here! I paied for mine 150 EUR or more Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8/135mm Reply with quote

bartpeeren wrote:
just bought one in a junk shop.
It's the Porst MC variety.

Bart. Laughing

Bargain of the year! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8/135mm Reply with quote

bartpeeren wrote:

Congrats, what a find! This F/1.8 135mm Sonnar copy was even cheaper than an East German or Russian F/3.5-4 Sonnar clone Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any shots you've taken with this lens you wouldn't mind sharing Abazz?

Thanks,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Do you have any shots you've taken with this lens you wouldn't mind sharing Abazz?

Kelly,

While I try to locate some pictures taken with this lens, here's a link to the wonderful "prom night" pictures posted by Attila in the Gallery (he owns the Spiratone version of this lens):
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=4679&start=0&sid=1598c171c4bb1905981e33beedc43551

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some pictures taken here in Brunei two days ago with the Sigmatel 135/1.8:

1. Wide open

2. Wide open?

3. F/5.6

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Abbaz, i am still hunting for your other recommendation vogitalander 125/1.8...
The bokeh seems so beautiful, colors a tad less on saturation.
A very good lense it seems..
#3 is rocking shot.... !!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is like an illustration, thanks for sharing.

Dakoo, I think you mean 125/2.5? And speaking of the Lanthar Abazz, do you find the faster Sigmatel showing you an interesting character vs the Voigt? The pics certainly look different bokeh wise, I guess I'd wonder how much you bother to carry the 1.8 around having a Lanthar?

I love the Lanthar, but I'm always game for fresh new bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the compliments.

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
do you find the faster Sigmatel showing you an interesting character vs the Voigt? The pics certainly look different bokeh wise, I guess I'd wonder how much you bother to carry the 1.8 around having a Lanthar?

This is an interesting comparison. Both lens have approximately the same bulk and weight. The Apo Lantar 125/2.5 is indubitably the better lens. Wide open, the Sigmatel 135/1.8 has many aberrations and is notably soft and low contrast. It also has a greenish cast. But I like the bokeh, which is a typical Sonnar bokeh, creamy and easy to the eye. So I keep the lens -- and going to F/1.8 with a 135mm can be useful at times.

When I need a top notch all-rounder, I take the Apo Lanthar. For low light events or creative bokeh sessions, I take the Sigmatel. When traveling light, then that's the Olympus 135/3.5 or the Tamron 135/2.5 that goes...

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The bokeh seems so beautiful, colors a tad less on saturation" -dakoo

I recently used one of these, and in raw mode I added saturation. The result was more realistic, not garish blocking. It "worked", so maybe here, too.

I hope to compare to CZ Planar T* 135/2 soon. I did compare 3 of the 135/1.8's which might have proved that painting the triplet black does help contrast, or maybe I just under-exposed due to different real ap hole sizes at same nominal setting i.e. @f1.8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't compare a brand new Corvette with a cheap old used car , they are not in same language in any aspects.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, a nice lens!.
As usual, we await for your samples Smile
Thanks!

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
thePiRaTE!! wrote:

Kelly, While I try to locate some pictures taken with this lens,

Here are a few I too with mine:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,89713.html#89713