Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus 3.4/40 Microfilm lens adapted for Macro on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Olympus 3.4/40 Microfilm lens adapted for Macro on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I've had this small Olympus lens sat on the shelf for a while and finally got around to mounting it in the barrel of a really crap Japanese 3.5/35 M42 mount lens. I've never tried any macro shooting before.

I forget what the resolution of this thing was supposed to be exactly, something stupidly high like 160 lines, it certainly seems rather good at resolving the tiniest details.

The cricket is about 25mm long, it's eye about 1mm wide so the tiny hairs must be mere fractions of a mm long.

I just lit this with a desk lamp with a 9w energy saving bulb with the camera balanced on a lens case. I think I need to setup a little studio and use this lens more, it seems rather useful.

The working distance is tiny, 10-15mm, to give you an idea of the magnification, here is a shot of a bottle on my desk with a Meyer Primotar 3.5/50 as it's mfd of 0.5m:

And the same subject with the Olympus 3.4/40:

I don't know why bokeh would be useful to a macro lens, but the bokeh is smooth and a little swirly:

Dof is pretty thin, sadly the aperture in the lens barrel I mounted this in is now stuck due to a little bit of the epoxy I used seeping onto the blades.

I was impressed by how it resolved the detail on this box of Kodak 35mm film:

100% crop:

I'm going to have to make a little studio to try this lens further, a desk lamp just isn't enough and I'll have to get a tabletop tripod and macro focussing rail to try focus stacking as these shots show the limitations but also the potential:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, looking forward to more shots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I've never tried any macro shooting before

easy to guess Very Happy

Last edited by poilu on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a sharp lens Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots of a piece of cloth, I'm not sure what the magnification is, but I'm guessing around 30x: