Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Foldex 20!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Foldex 20! Reply with quote

Here's a funny one:

I got it for the flash -I have a Foldex 30 which has a Steinheil Cassar lens and vario shutter. I thought it might be fun to play around with a flash with it.

The flash was attached to the Foldex 20 though - so now I have that version too. This was a really cheap folder, more of a folding box camera. Single speed shutter, single element lens, fixed focus. Thick gauge steel construction. It might be fun to run a roll through.

Anybody have one of these?

Oh yeah -and its chief claim to fame was its ability to use either 120 or 620 film. The spindles for the spools are stepped so either will fit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash is impressive Laughing Laughing camera looks to me very basic, I don't have experience with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking that one of these would be a good body for remounting a nice lens, like a Tessar or Skopar in Compur.

The body was very well made. Better than Franka or Agfa, usually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're apparently popular for pinhole conversion. This particular example does not seem to have the lensboard perfectly parallel to the film plane though - so that would be something to watch for when considering swapping in a better lens and shutter. The other thing is that the early (more common) version of the 20 uses an 86mm lens mounted behind the shutter, and so the viewfinder gives a wider view. This later version uses a 105mm lens in front of the shutter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the 30 and 20 next to each other. One interesting bit of Trivia, the 20 was discontinued in 1962 some three years after the last American made Kodak Tourist folder. It could perhaps be the last American made folder. I don't know when Spartus killed their 120 folder, but I think it was around the same time. If anything made it to 1963 it would have been killed dead by the instamatic anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ If you count Graflex press cameras as folding cameras, they were made into the early 1970s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ and Polaroid I think made folders for a while longer... this nit picking doesn't change the interesting fact. Foldex, eh?

I see they diversified into folding cats Laughing
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/catbreed/foldex.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Polaroid make their last rollfilm folder? They switched to pack film in 1963 I know that - but did they discontinue their roll film cameras at the same time? Laughing

Graflex have a bellows but they're not really the same type of camera...