Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 aluminium corrosion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 aluminium corrosion Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a 1964 Jupiter 9 aluminium in M39 mount to use in my Pentax. I have got a M42 to PK mount adapter and I'm looking for a M39 to M42 adapter to put it between of them.

I'm curious to know if having three different metals in contact might produce some kind of galvanic corrosion. I saw a lot of "chromed" Jupiters that have a quite bad cosmetic condicion, so does anyone know something about this?

The M39 to M42 adapter I found in ebay are...

The black one. Probably the black paint will tear apart?
The aluminium one. Not very well machined but should work.
The brass one. Not very well machined as well.

I'm thinking about getting the aluminium one and don't store the body with the lens atached for a long itme, just in case.

Thank you in adavance.

Best regards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Do you know it has two version with M39 mount ? One made for RF cameras it will be not works with your Pentax and one made for SLR.

Aluminium tube is sensetive for storing environment , this is only aesthetic problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you will get Galvanic corrosion, it will be very slow. Once the metals are uncoupled, the reaction will stop. For short periods of time it will be fine, just remember to disassemble it after shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the Zenit version so it should work fine. It's in a rare mint condition so I hope to don't waste it.

I think I'll get the aluminium M39-M42 adapter. It'll be always kept with the lens, so it's better to use the most similar metal.

I'll take care of not leaving the Jupiter atached to the body for months, like you adviced as well. I suspect the K mount may be stainless steel...

Thank you.

Best regards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Mr.Takumi
you have a nice name,
sound like Takumar Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to worry about that, unless you intend to subject your cameras to conditions where they'll fail quite soon in any case. About the only place where I've seen galvanic corrosion in otherwise good cameras are "Zeiss bumps" (the corrosion to leather covered aluminium rivets in steel camera doors) and aluminium filters frozen into brass lenses and vice versa.

When it comes to lens/body contact, you'd need constant humid conditions at the mirror box port to get any corrosion there - but these wreck electronics, lenses, finder optics and surface mirrors long before the mount starts malfunctioning.