Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

having a hard time to choose Pentax k-r vs sony nex5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: having a hard time to choose Pentax k-r vs sony nex5 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

My 400d seams to be dead...
I was looking for my options and liked k-r and nex5 and can't decide between them.

I shoot bw film with spotmatics and i'm looking for a digital to spare some film and to take pictures with colors
From these two cameras which should be the one that feats my needs?

I will use only one af lens and my m42 collection...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the Nex will give you many more options re: lenses, the Pentax has stabilisation and a viewfinder. I found the Nex very hit and miss focus wise, especially when the sun comes out...that LCD doesn't really help at all, even with focus peaking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more a matter of taste. Technical datas etc. you can compare on the respective data sheets where I believe that the NEX is the more modern cam.

The Pentax is a real DSLR, the NEX has more P&S feeling. With the NEX you can adapt nearly everything, with the Pentax the selection is more reduced but M42 lenses are no problem. Personally I prefer more the conventional DSLR style due to better weight balance with larger lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for NEX due lens diversity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun is not such a big problem anymore with a LCD hood:

Mounting foreign lenses is much better on the NEX (you can mount much more).
however, I also like to look through the viewfinder Wink.

I keep both, my NEX-C3 and the K200D.
On the K200D I mount P-K, M42 and Tamron Adaptall-2.
On the NEX, all of them plus Leica, Exakta, Contax, Minolta MD, (long etc...).

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comparisons, technical

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/672|0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28appareil2%29/652|0/%28brand2%29/Sony

more 'popular' Wink
http://dslr-camera.pikimal.com/pentax-k-r/vs/sony-alpha-nex-5
http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax_K-r-vs-Sony_Alpha_NEX-5

IQ wise there is little between them,
main differences obviously are in the 'shooting experience', LCD vs. optical viewfinder, so the choice really is very personal, depends on your shooting style

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Sun is not such a big problem anymore with a LCD hood:Jes.

Or a black cloth over the head and shoulders . . . "Forward to the Past" Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me thank you for your opinions

ManualFocus-G & Attila Arrow At the moment diversity it is not important, but we never know when a nice opportunity rings our bell, it's nice to know that our camera is versatile...

Rolf Arrow The weight balance is something important to me... I already found myself grabbing Tair 11-A with my right hand, while using the left hand to focus and remote shooting at the same time Laughing maybe that would be easier with a light weight camera attached to the lens... Wink On the other hand I already tested a pentax k-x and it was so comfortable....

Jesito & kuuan Arrow yes that is a cheap and great upgrade for the nex. The view finder vs lcd is something awkward for me because the 400d does not have live view... I think the view finder is great when it is huge and you can see the world from that tiny hole Smile thanks for the links

scsambrook Arrow that image crossed my mind and made me laugh Laughing

Now I need to test the nex (unfortunately with AF)
Now it seams the best deal is to buy the nex and fix de 400d Wink

The nex would be great to carry as a backup for the spotmatic in the lowepro passport sling but I cant ignore how well I felt with the Pentax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big nexproblem --especially coming from a film bakground--is lack of vf. shooting on lcd when one is used to a 'real' camera experience, is simply horrible and terribly frustrating and will greatly reduce both the 'fun' factor and the number of acceptable images. this should not be underestimated. i would strongly consider both the fuji x100 or if you really only want a backup, the less costly fuji x10. i would also consider the upcoming sony nex7. finally why not have a look at an ep2 with attachable evf, as i am certain this combo , which works great for me, can be obtained pretty cheaply. all of these have vf experiences similar to film. in my personal experience (i had ep1 with no evf, canon s10 with no evf, and now olly ep2 WITH evf) that single factor is crucial to useability, and thus IQ and 'fun' of these cams.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Nex-5N with EVF should be cheaper than the Nex-7, but still a lot more than the two options you've listed. Decisions, decisions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you
Today I went to several stores to test the cameras and I have to say that probably the nex5 will be my spotmatic backup. I think it has everything I need and it's a cheap solution.

The never ending list of must have lenses make me spare my money for higher priorities Wink