Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FUJICA lenses - is it worth it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: FUJICA lenses - is it worth it? Reply with quote

Hey. I'm new on this board, although I have read it a long time. I like to use manual lenses, and have a small collection. The other day I had the opportunity to buy a small collection of FUJICA lenses.
It was:
Fujinon SW S 24mm, 2.8
Fujinon-Z 43-75mm, 3.5 to 4.5
Fujinon 55mm, 1.8
Tamron adaptal 2 - 80-210 mm Bbar MC
It all seems to be in good condition.
But I had overlooked that FUJICA had their own system, FUJICA-X.
Apparently, it's easy to grind lenses down to fit the M42.
But is it worth it?
Or should I just sell them and buy some other M42 lenses?
I have a Sigma super-wide II 24mm f 2.8 in this length and of course a lot of 50mm lenses.
Thank you in advance
(English is not my native language, but I hope it is understandable)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fujinons for the Fujica bayonet can only be used on mirrorless cameras, there is an adapter to NEX, but not sure if there are to others. The adapter doesn't allow aperture control so you have to shoot them wide open or tape the aperture lever into position.

The handful of X-Fujinons I've tried were not great, average and less good than Pentax, Konica, Minolta ones I also tried, the 1.6/50 EBC DM is not as good as 1.7/50s from other makers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: My mistake Reply with quote

Its Fujica screw mount m42 system.
You can see a adapter her
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-Confirm-Fujinon-Fujica-Fuji-M42-Mount-Lens-Canon-Eos-EF-5d-7d-550d-Adapter-/110878538383?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item19d0e03a8f#ht_2801wt_1111
i don't know this seller - its just a example
KR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is lost in translation. Fujica-X is a bayonet mount. If your Fujinon lenses have a screw mount, they should already be in M42, no grinding is necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not stop down if you put a normal M42 adapter on it.

I think this is why
"The ST705 has center-weighted through-the-lens metering, activated by a half-press of the shutter button. Semi-unusually for an M42 camera, it is possible to meter with the lens' aperture wide open; Fuji lenses have a mechanical coupling between the lens and the camera body that permits this. There is a needle in the viewfinder that indicates over- and under-exposure."

From
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fujica_ST705

KR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Something is lost in translation. Fujica-X is a bayonet mount. If your Fujinon lenses have a screw mount, they should already be in M42, no grinding is necessary.

Sadly, a bit of grinding is necessary.
Fujinons in m42 have a small metal tab that couples the aperture ring with a mechanism on the fujica cameras: this tabs prevents the lens to be fully screwed in an m42 adapter: you can grind the adapter (digging a small channel that goes 3/4 around it) or you can grind the small metal tab (easier, much quicker, but not reversible).

Other thing is the auto aperture pin, but that's much easier (for all except 55/1.8, that seems different): remove mount part of the lens and jam the pin with tape or a little plastic tube, like cotton swabs).

If the lenses are in fujica x mount, only chance (afaik) are mirrorless cams, with the nex having a (rare) dedicated adapter.
No need to say that, for this reason, fujinon-x lenses are much less desirable, and then much cheaper.

I have some EBC fujinons in m42 (28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 55/1.8 and 135/3.5) and all are very good (for my needs: as good as their takumar equivalents, more or less). The 24mm is quite uncommon, I'd love to get one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Sadly, a bit of grinding is necessary...

Ha, you learn something every day.

Btw, m4/3 also has an X-bayonet adapter. It looks though that it has the same issue as the NEX one, namely the problem stopping down.