Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 - a whole lotta aperture blade
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 - a whole lotta aperture blade Reply with quote

Hi all -

Another lens I recently grabbed off ebay is t he CZJ Tessar 2.8/50

Performs very well it seems (for what it is!). Its very small and light. Being a 2.8 its not very fast for a 50mm prime.

The coolest thing I've noticed though is that the aperture control is smooth (no notchy/clicky spots, totally smooth like the focus ring) and there are a TON of aperture blades! I believe I am counting 14 blades. It looks like the aperture is totally round at all f-stops which is very nice!

IMG_7902.jpg by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

IMG_7904.jpg by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

How rare are these things? I see mention of the 2.8/50 a lot but not the 14 blade variant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.8 50mm came attached to a Pentacon ZI camera. The lens has 14 blades like yours so I am not sure how rare this lens is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at that link in my last post here, please:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-tessar-50mm-f-3-5-alu-m42-t31980.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute and good lens ! Congrats! I look forward samples taken with this lens!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty common lens. Lots and lots were sent out on early Prakticas. There's an Exakta mount version too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info guys. The only issue I have right now is that it won't focus to infinity because the zeiss has a small beveled rear surround that bottoms out against my M42 adapter. I am thinking I need an adapter without a flange inside the threading.

How old is this thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon K wrote:
Thanks for info guys. The only issue I have right now is that it won't focus to infinity because the zeiss has a small beveled rear surround that bottoms out against my M42 adapter. I am thinking I need an adapter without a flange inside the threading.

How old is this thing?

Early to mid 1950s probably. I think Praktica adopted the auto-aperture in either 1956 or 1958, but I don't know how long after that Zeiss continued to make lenses like this. That gaurd on the back will also foul auto aperture plungers, so it's best not to put it on M42 cameras either (except of course early ones that don't have a plunger).