Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Identifying Asahi Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 approx. date?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Help Identifying Asahi Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 approx. date? Reply with quote

Hello all - I won an auction on ebay on a very clean Super-Takumar lens. Its an Asahi 50mm 1.4 and its extremely clean and in good shape. I almost feel that it's a very late production given the condition its in or maybe not and its just sat in a box for ages.

Anyway - its slightly yellow so I was going to try the "leave in sunlight for a week" thing I have read about. That, or just live with it. I can post an image or just describe it. It has the markings for a 7-element lens. It says "Asahi Opt. Co. Lens made in Japan Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 1900552" around the front element.

Also - trying to figure out - if I put this in my M42 to EOS adapter, will it hit the mirror in my 5DII? It honestly doesn't seem like it would, but I don't want to chance it.

Thanks!

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 7 element Super Takumar was produced between 1967 and 1971 ( according to: http://www.aohc.it/tak03e.htm )
as far as I know it won't hit the mirror of Canon 5DII ( but may hit the mirror of 5DI )

and welcome to the forum Jon, enjoy your stay here and your Tak!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the 7 element Super Takumar was produced between 1967 and 1971 ( according to: http://www.aohc.it/tak03e.htm )
as far as I know it won't hit the mirror of Canon 5DII ( but may hit the mirror of 5DI )

and welcome to the forum Jon, enjoy your stay here and your Tak!

Thank you!

Very interesting.

On a slightly off topic... how concerned should one be with the radioactivity of this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon K wrote:

On a slightly off topic... how concerned should one be with the radioactivity of this lens?

Very.
I mean dangerously concerned.
Send it to me. I have a lead box to store those radioactive things. I pay the shipping.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Jon K wrote:

Very.
I mean dangerously concerned.
Send it to me. I have a lead box to store those radioactive things. I pay the shipping.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Welcome aboard!

Haha

I have read mixed thoughts on the topic that's why I ask.

Also - I just confirmed that my Super Tak does hit the mirror on my 5DII Sad when focused to infinity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two ways to deal with mirror clash at infinity: 1.put camera in live view mode, focus to inifity at hearts content (mirror is already up in live view-set focus closer than infinity before engaging). 2. Focus "a hair" closer than infinty (experience will tell you how much "a hair" is), then stop down to F 5.6 or F 8.0 for DOF to cover you. Thats how I did it when I owned one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on serial number you provide the lens was made in 1967-68. I use it on EOS 5mII and it does not interfier with mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anscochrome wrote:
two ways to deal with mirror clash at infinity: 1.put camera in live view mode, focus to inifity at hearts content (mirror is already up in live view-set focus closer than infinity before engaging). 2. Focus "a hair" closer than infinty (experience will tell you how much "a hair" is), then stop down to F 5.6 or F 8.0 for DOF to cover you. Thats how I did it when I owned one.

I have a 7D as well, so I can just run it on there. Or, as you say, don't focus to infinity. Honestly with a 50mm I am not much inclined to focus to infinity but as you say I can use DOF/hyper focus to cover me if need be.

It only hits at infinity.