Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Test Shots: Balda Baldinette
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Test Shots: Balda Baldinette Reply with quote

Picked up a Baldinette from eBay a month or so back for $10, but it had some serious rust issues. In a few months when I get to the photos, I'll show you the before and after shots. The repairs required a few hours with some 60-grit sandpaper and a dremel to remove the rust. I patched the holes with some black tape used for patching engine hoses. I then used Rustoleum (propr to a company I used to temp for - woo hoo!) flat black paint to repaint the interior and the tape on the exterior where the leatherette was missing. Then I glued the leatherette back on.With the camera light-proof again, I decided to use an eight-shot roll to test the lens. The film is Foma (branded Ultrafine) 400 ISO bulk rolled at home.

The shutter works just fine, and even though it has the second-cheapest lens available on the Baldinette, it does a decent job:

Pond ripples. It's a great place to relax during the day. The crawdads make for good entertainment during work breaks. And the traffic cone (what I call the one surviving coi, a bright orange thing) is a rare sighting that means good luck, or some such nonsense.

Some papyrus, bamboo, and a tree. Three different green shades with a tan background. Not a shabby contrast capture.

Papyrus. For the above shots I was on f5.6 and 3m focal distance, the two red dots. So the shots were okay. This was f4, 1/50th, in the wind. Luck only makes this not entirely blurry.

That fountain used to shoot 25 feet in the air and make such a loud splashing noise the window cubes, like mine, filled with the cacophony of water slapping water for hours and days on end. Then the pond had n algae bloom. Perhaps an unconventional mechanism to water pressure control, but life in the window cubes has improved. Lots of scanner noise, but the contrast is fairly even.

In short, a decent performer. I want to take it out and see how it does with a full roll, not just the tail end of a 100-foot spool, and also test it with color. The lens seems to exhibit good contrast performance but a slightly sub-par focus clarity. I'll have a more complete research and quality report with my entry in the equipment gallery sometime later this year. No kidding. I have that many photos to go through now that the busy season is over.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job to save a camera, I look forward more shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What scanner are you using David?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Attilla. I'm better at fixing rust and physical issues than mechanical ones. I wish I could disassemble and reliably reassemble a shutter mechanism.

Peter, I have an Epson Perfection 1670. It was free, so even though I periodically (read as: often) have scanner noise and even though the photos sometimes look flat, it does a reasonable job of scanning at high resolution. I'm overall pleased with it, though I wish the negative lamp were 60mm wide so I could get the full frame of a 120 exposure. I think it's 50-55mm wide. It can scan negatives at about a 10-12MP equivalent, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Peter, I have an Epson Perfection 1670. It was free, so even though I periodically (read as: often) have scanner noise and even though the photos sometimes look flat, it does a reasonable job of scanning at high resolution. I'm overall pleased with it, though I wish the negative lamp were 60mm wide so I could get the full frame of a 120 exposure. I think it's 50-55mm wide. It can scan negatives at about a 10-12MP equivalent, I think.

I asked because the pics look very similar to the early scans I made with my old Agfa 35mm scanner. There's not just noise there, the scanner is creating those horizontal lines because of the software settings. Your Epson may be a bit long in the tooth, but it's capable of better results than that. If you scan at the highest resolution possible and reduce the file output size to a workable amount, say 20Mb, you'll probably find it doesn't create those lines.