Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you think of this m4/3 rant?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: What do you think of this m4/3 rant? Reply with quote

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/09/micro-43-is-the-big-kahuna.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes totally agree with the take on nikon. it wouldve been better if they did nothing at all than what they actually did do.

no on the assessment of m4/3. i hve an ep2, i really like it, but the sensor is just too small, high iso/low light performance stinks pure and simple. they say its ok until 1600, but i disagree. in low light it stinks at 800 and really isnt so great even at 400. dont get me wrong, for most of todays uses 400 low light is fine, but when you compare it to other mirrored dslrs it really doesnt hold its own.

apsc is much better low light performer, especially coupled with samsung software. i think this system has the most promise for those of us who want real semi pro dslr performance in a smaller package. i thimk the next round of sonys, ricohs and fujis will prove this to be true. expect nothing from canon and nikon, they just dont get it, like the article said.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I would add to the failures the HP Tablet and the IBM machine where every hardware change meant updating a system registration floppy disk. Then there was the Nokia 'Apple / Android competitor'...Talk about stupid!

The same happened with Borders the bookstore.. once huge now.. bankrupt as it never made it to the E-Book universe..

Anyway back to 4/3 and m4/3 I think it IS the future in terms of size / performance. We have aps / apc sized sensors now, like the K5 which can support astronomical ISO levels.. yet only a few years ago the Nikon D1x was state of the art.. I am sure that a similar improvement to the 4/3 sensor family is coming... then the NEX will feel the pinch as it is tiny camera, but huge lenses.. and having to wrap that much light around to hit the sensor from such a short registration means very complex sensor design...

So.. I shall carry on buying up the world's supply of C, S and D lenses in case I am wrong and the Pen-Nikon size takes off, but meanwhile I shall support m4/3

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Panasonic GH series and G3 works well with the m4/3 format.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive seen the low light performance of panny, especially without the in body IS of the olly, is just as poor. just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with him - the launch of Nikon 1 just made m4/3 look better, at least for me. It's a system of choices. looking forward to even better sensors and lenses for m4/3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the size of the sensor is too small - I think it's the quality of the sensor.

That said, m43rs has been getting some very sharp glass, and along with the blessing of the weak AA filter results in very high resolution images.

Noise is a problem in darker areas, but you have to approach that as well. I've been able to get decent ISO 3200 images after post processing. My 5d is way better - no question (actually I can pull ISO 1600 and not worry about underexposure there). But, I've been very satisfied with m43rds.

It's small and convenient - It's packed in my bag every day. If I'm without my 5d, I don't feel lacking - especially If I'm using flash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

Anyway back to 4/3 and m4/3 I think it IS the future in terms of size / performance. ..
Doug

yes. If I was not into using old, manual lenses but new AF lenses only already now a m4/3 would be the camera of my choice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that my clients are very happy with the results and that my
Nikon, Canon, Sigma etc. bodies start to collect dust Wink

Isn't it like in the old saying: "Size does not matter, it depends on how you work with it" Wink Wink