Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question:Orestegor 300 or Tair 300?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Question:Orestegor 300 or Tair 300? Reply with quote

Hello folks,
I think I need a long focal lens now. I've seen these two: Meyer Orestegor 300 f 4 and Tair 300 f4.5. Not bad for the price and quite fast, but not for the weight Sad (I need to upgrade my muscles), I think.
I have the Orestor 100 f2.8 and Orestegor 200 f4, and love both them for color rendition and sharpness.
I have a question: which is better for quality pics in this range? (better WO)
Someone knows advise me please?
--------------------
Thanks to iangreenhalgh1 that encourages me with this language(in my first post, about 1 month ago)and for the tips. I love English language since I was a child(but google traductor still helping me...) Ciao!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Pentacon version of the Meyer, and I can assure you it's a weighty beast. It does however, take great pictures. The focus is very fine, but needs a lot of movement to go from minimum to infinity.

Examples, both handheld, wide open. The first was on an overcast day, the second was very sunny.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Great shots! Like them, great IQ... I suppose that is better a monopod(I don't want to go to the gym Laughing ) but a nex with this beast is negligible, I can try(for a short time).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair is less big, weight perhaps same and one of the best 300mm lens what I did try include Nikon ED and CZ Sonnar , Takumar etc. You can't go wrong any of them , I prefer Tair.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon renders beautiful images but has quite a bit of purple fringing (in my experience so far, which is limited).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/tair/tair-3_300mm_f4_5/?
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_telemegor_300mm_f4_5/?
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_300/?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn´t have the Orestegor, but have Experience with two copies of Tair. Image quality of first was very good (regarding its price), but the second was quite crappy. There are also plenty information on net with same conclusion - to get a good Tair you must choose from few pieces. It´s not just problem of bad copies from factory, but also bad repairs or handling of user.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the examples(thanks Attila)The three lens seems similar to me. I think to go with meyer, I hope well

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak of the Tair since I don't have it, but images I've seen look good. My experience with f/4 Orestegor has been good. It certainly is very heavy and shockingly large when first seen. I have used it without a tripod, but do not recommend handheld. I do find it difficult at times to nail the focus, but less an issue in bright light. CA does occur as it does with so many other old lenses.

http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/meyer300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good even these shots! Amazing for sharpness 2 and 3, good portrait the 1, and great 4 in bokeh!..............

..............................I just took this on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110746048416&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

If it makes images like those above I'm very happy Very Happy (but not my body, of course Sad )

Wish me good luck, I think I've took a good item.

Yes I've seen, the hood is slightly twisted, but hope the lens is good, as the seller wrote,
and especially that it's a good copy...

When it comes to me I will try to post some shots

Many Thanks to All

Regards
Luciano

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon i think is made faster then F4. It has post aperture reduction to F4. If that ring (before rear elements group) would be removed you'd be left withat least F3. I've tried few Tairs and Meyers and i my vote goes to Tair. Not easily though.

berraneck wrote:
I didn´t have the Orestegor, but have Experience with two copies of Tair. Image quality of first was very good (regarding its price), but the second was quite crappy. There are also plenty information on net with same conclusion - to get a good Tair you must choose from few pieces. It´s not just problem of bad copies from factory, but also bad repairs or handling of user.

I'd say exactly the opposite. You need good copy of Pentacon (Meyer is less problematic but can suffer from fogging or coating deterioration due to age / condensation). Tair only has problem with aperture blades faults. Grease gets sticky with age and sniper fires faster then blades can move (springs are very strong). Be careful about that and remove 2 out of 3 springs if you have a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See HERE for a comparison I shot a while ago, but never published.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Should have stayed so Smile. Cannot post infinity tests without infinity being reached.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tair that is pretty amazing.

I'm the wrong person to comment on lens weights as lifting weights is my other hobby; but I have used the Tair handheld on the few occasions I have taken it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks martyn_bannister for sharing your shots, I appreciate your help; in results that I've seen,IMHO I think the meyer is slightly better in resolving power(f4 and f5.6)
and overall better contrast and vivid colours. I dont't know, it's difficult to say, but perhaps the focusing wasn't on the blue barrel, due to some issues, as you wrote. It's a strong crop however.
Sorry a little for CA in the Meyer, certainly worse of Tair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good copy of the Tair is a great lens. If you can't be bothered trying a few, get the Meyer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A good copy of the Tair is a great lens. If you can't be bothered trying a few, get the Meyer.

Thanks martinsmith99 I am waiting for Meyer now, that will come to me as soon as possible(I hope). The seller said that's shipped.
I will post some shots as soon(but don't expect great shots from me).
Regards
Luciano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

Should have stayed so Smile. Cannot post infinity tests without infinity being reached.

Totally agree, as marked in that thread. I will reshoot when my 5D mk2 arrives (in the meantime, my mk1 is for sale in the market place Smile)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming thursday in the morning: big and pretty ugly, but with charm.

The beauty on the beast:

My copy has many dents on the hood:

Some pics in jpeg all wide open no PP only automatic toned and resized.
A lot of CA, high speed shutter but perhaps some little shake(all handheld Shocked )

at minimum focusing distance(3.6 meters)

a 100% crop

another with 100% crop

I'm not shure of correct focusing of the last two. I should try with a tripod (or closing a bit the diaphragm).