Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Werra cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Werra cameras Reply with quote

Any experience ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful early 50's Bauhaus style design. But quirky. And its basic Jena consumer lenses, while decent, are not really exciting, and can be had with plenty of other lens carriers...

That said, it is a beautiful classic of camera design, and cheap at that - but one would really have wished for a Contax successor based on that design paradigm and not a point&shoot. And in my experience the later, more evolved models are rather low quality - the rangefinder and exposure meter are almost always useless by now (and probably were low precision back then), and don't improve its looks either.

Sevo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks! I did expect this answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold one a couple of months ago (£50)
It was the basic model in A1 condition but I must admit I was never tempted to put a film through it.
They are sought after by some collectors. Mine had been in the cupboard for years, untill somebody told me they were wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob, I think I will reject to buy one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I bought one , looks very well enginered, great little cam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three of them over the years, all the rather attractive green ones (Werra 1 I think). Treat it gently. The wind-on/shutter cock mechanism is complicated, assuming it is the type where you "wring it's neck". All of mine broke eventually, and getting them fixed is expensive, if it's even possible these days.

But to use they are terrific. I found mine capable of very acceptable results.

I look forward to seeing how it performs in your expert hands Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
I had three of them over the years, all the rather attractive green ones (Werra 1 I think). Treat it gently. The wind-on/shutter cock mechanism is complicated, assuming it is the type where you "wring it's neck". All of mine broke eventually, and getting them fixed is expensive, if it's even possible these days.

Laughing thanks! I have Werra 3, finder is pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Laughing thanks! I have Werra 3, finder is pretty amazing.

Is the Werra 3 allready with interchangeable lenses?

I do have the Version 5 and I like it a lot - though I am not using it that much. The Viewfinder is really great - it is the best of the old rangefinder cameras I have used. Cameras and lenses are not that common - even in Eastern Germany. It took me a while to aquire all three lenses and the Naheinstellgerät 1 and 2.

If your lens hood isn't broken yet take care Wink .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Werra 3 I have 100mm Cardinar +50mm Tessar lenses I need to get Flektogon too. I agree , one of the best perhaps best rangefinder, viewfinder what I seen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a collector, I would collect these as their design is sublime (at least to look at).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
If I was a collector, I would collect these as their design is sublime (at least to look at).

It has top quality enginering and design looks pretty in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes Werra 3 I have 100mm Cardinar +50mm Tessar lenses I need to get Flektogon too. I agree , one of the best perhaps best rangefinder, viewfinder what I seen.

Finding a good Flektogon should be easier than the Cardinar. I have seen several hazy ones so I think they are a bit prone for this fault.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so rare here , but not common also. I hope I will find one soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not dare to buy one, when they were new. I didn't trust the winding and the noise that made. Could not be for long, I was sure! Embarassed
Now I have Werra 3 and the oldy works great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I did not dare to buy one, when they were new. I didn't trust the winding and the noise that made. Could not be for long, I was sure! Embarassed
Now I have Werra 3 and the oldy works great.

Laughing Laughing Laughing cute!