Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast and long Leica M/LTM alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Fast and long Leica M/LTM alternatives Reply with quote

What alternatives in M mount or LTM are there if one wants a lens that is longer than 75mm and has at least 2.5 as widest aperture? I know of the 75 Summilux and the 90 Summicron but are there others out there, in other brands perhaps?

cheers and thanks in advance
Philip

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent Cosina Voigtlanders are probably your best bet along with the Cosina Zeiss. Between them they have 75/1.8, 75/2.5, 80/4 and 80/2.8.

There are also the Russian Jupiters, old Canons and smaller makers that go up to 135mm in ltm mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the Leitz/Leica lenses there are the various fast Canon 85 and 100mm ones. The early 85mm Serenars were made in f2 and f1.9 apertures as well as the quite rare f1.5 version. I have an 85 f2 Serenar dating from the early 50s and it's a "characterful" lens indeed. The later black 85mm f1.8 is by all accounts extremely good, as is the 100mm f2. But they've got expensive lately - £300 plus seems normal these days.

Then there's the Soviet/Russian 85mm f2 Jupiter which is compact and often good optically (quality can vary from sample to sample), but it probably won't couple perfectly with a Leica rangefinder. I had one a while ago and it was fine at distances over about 5 or 6 metres but not so good close in.

And there are the wildly ovepriced ones like the British 85mm f 2 Dallmeyer (£3000+ on eBay) and the German 85 mm f1.5 Enna (similar prices).

Depending on your budget, if you want 85/90mm and f2, I'd suggest getting a Summicron. The mid-60s ones are superb - I rue the day I sold mine. If you want to spend under £200, look for a Serenar - great fun to use and highly distinctive images. If you've unlimited funds, then treat yourself to an Apo-Summicron and post pics on here for us to drool over with envy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for this wealth of info. Excellent stuff!

How is the 135/3.5 Serenar? At that focal length 3.5 may still give nice OOF.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/3.5 Serenar is a good lens and still affordable.

But if you can afford it have a look at Canon's 100mm f2 lens, it's just phenomenal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Serenar's successor (black finish) is also excellent (I have one) and a lot lighter. And still cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really suggest a Jupiter-11 4/135, I have a 1963 one that is stunning, I mostly use it wide open at f4 and it is really, really sharp.