Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Viewfinder Magnifier on 5d (i.e. 5dc)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Viewfinder Magnifier on 5d (i.e. 5dc) Reply with quote

I apologize if this was discussed before.

I did search but most topics discussed the 350D.

I recently purchased a 5d (classic) to use with a collection of older glass I had purchased for use on my m43. I figured the 5Dc would give me better use of the glass, plus handle low light, landscapes and portraits better.

So far I have shaved the mirror and replaced the focusing screen with EE-S - kenko (generic) 19-35mm and 50mm tak reported to hit mirror (thought reports seem hit and miss...).

First thought - holy crap. I'm glad I went for it over similar-priced new SLRs Wink

It's fairly pleasant to use - but I'm curious about magnifying the viewfinder image.

- I did see some posts discussing using other brand viewfinder magnifiers, but what is coverage like?
    - Does the viewfinder get darker with magnification?
    - Is there a magnifier that covers more than just the center of the viewfinder?
    - How useful are these in practice?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kps 1.3x viewfinder is nice on 5DII, I tried others but distortion and borders was bad, the kps have good optics
the information line is visible with some gymnastic
it doesn't get much darker
with the kps, the viewfinder is less sharp than without but it is good enough and useful for wide angle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
kps 1.3x viewfinder is nice on 5DII, I tried others but distortion and borders was bad, the kps have good optics
the information line is visible with some gymnastic
it doesn't get much darker
with the kps, the viewfinder is less sharp than without but it is good enough and useful for wide angle

Thanks for the info. I wear glasses so that that make said gymnastics difficult? Smile

I tried looking for KPS, but the links i found to their store was not working and I'm not finding anything on ebay.

I did see some tenpa magnifiers - but no extremely positive posts on it.

From my research, it appears that the eyepiece of the 50d/350d etc fits on the 5d - I guess that means the 5d and 5dii magnifiers will not work on each other?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
I used it on the 40D before 5DII, the link list compatible dslr, 5D is there and they also give adapter for all major brand
by gymnastic, I mean you have to move your head up and look down, not practical but I work in AV mode and never need the infos
I use to check first pic of a series on lcd with histogram then shot without checking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Poilu.

From your sig, I take it you're a planar man?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
From your sig, I take it you're a planar man?

hehe, with such a sig, it was easy to guess Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: More coverage? Reply with quote

So I got the KPS, and it works well - the magnification is noticeable.

I noticed some of my picture's composition was looking pretty off though.

The problem is it's difficult for me to see the full frame. If I push my eye closer, my glasses start getting in the way. Is there a larger eyepiece that even if it wont magnify as much lets me see the full frame easier?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

Picked up a Nikon DK-17m.

Some were looking at how to mount this. The eyepiece can use the kps mount directly without modification. Just screw the back off, and it can screw into the KPS piece directly.

Since the KPS ships with adapters for other cameras - canon, nikon, pentax etc, This is one way (albeit pricey) way to get the dk17m to fit neatly.

The magnification isn't as high, but the diameter of the glass is nearly double, so it covers the viewfinder.