Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

75mm f1.4 c-mount lens; who made it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: 75mm f1.4 c-mount lens; who made it? Reply with quote

I bought this lens in the sure knowledge it was in pretty bad condition. There are lots of dents in the metalwork. The glass was filthy, so its condition was unknown. The focus was stiff (due to dirt and grit in the helicoid). Basically, I took a gamble, but for £16.50 inc P&P I wasn't going to be devastated if it turned out to be junk. And I had a good time taking it apart and doing the best I could to return it to useable condition.

There are no makers marks on the lens at all. Does anyone know who made this. BTW, the rubber grip on the rearmost ring (the focus ring) is not the original one; that has splits in it so is not really useable anymore.

The rear element has a couple of cracks at the edges, you can see the light catching one in the picture below. I don't think they will have a big impact on the performance of the lens.

The front element has a couple of small but obvious scratches right in the centre (most of the marks in the picture below are just dust). However, the whole outer surface is covered in micro-pits (I think the result of dirt etching into the coating) and a few light cleaning marks as well. They are not especially obvious in the picture below, but can be seen easily when looking through the back of the lens against a bright light.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how the lens looks on my EPL1

Some test shots at near the minimum focus distance of 1 metre.

The hairs in the cat's ear look really sharp.

The lens is a bit soft a f1.4 and has a typical diffuse halo around edges (note the green fringe around the cat's whiskers). There is still a bit of evidence of this at f2, but it is much sharper. Results at f2.8 and f4 look very good.

i will post more pictures of something to test the bokeh when the weather allows me to take them.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVITAR I would guess. Nice examples actually!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
NAVITAR I would guess. Nice examples actually!

Thanks Klaus.

Externally, my lens is identical (apart from the dents Laughing ), to this Navitar 75mm f1.3 lens for sale on eBay. This lens must be a newer version and has the aperture increased to f1.3. Also, the aperture blades are a very different shape - they look like a simple curve in the new lens whilst mine have a very complicated shape indeed. The blades fell out when I took the lens apart because the swivel plate that moves the blades is only held in place by the front lens group!

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I should check the forum before asking questions. This thread already covers the subject. Nobody has one as bashed about as mine though. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Navitar Reply with quote

I think Navitar also. ('Cool')

Not Computar, Kodak, Cosmicar. Not Canon? Not German! I have two or three. Very similar to the 75mm F1,3 which needs to be machined on all adapters, so far seen, for m4/3.

Tamron, probably not. Senco? There are lots and they are all GREAT! Laughing

Well done, my son, on your clever bargain! You have a 150mm F1.4!!!! Shocked Shocked Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Tarcus! Reply with quote

The banding is exactly the same as used by Tarcus in some of their lenses. Whether they are oem or not is up for debate. There are only a few lens makers able to make such a fast accurate lens.

Pentax/Hoya make Computar lenses, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: WEIRD! Reply with quote

Just posted about the Apollo f1.4 / 75mm lens and was going to do some sample shots.. NO need! This is the self-same lens. Made by Apollo as a TV lens (or at least branded by them) absolutely identical except mine has Apollo around the leading edge of the front of the lens...

No idea why it was listed 'for parts' it looks nearly new and FAR better than the truly horrid photo in the auction! Smile

Doug

PS Mine cost me under 10 dollars US - how much was yours and where did you find it? Mine was an eBay find....

Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290600718432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2716wt_1344

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WEIRD! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

No idea why it was listed 'for parts' it looks nearly new and FAR better than the truly horrid photo in the auction! Smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290600718432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2716wt_1344

Hi Doug

Good buy! It's sellers like that who allow us to get great bargains. Post a rubbish picture with a naff description and it guarantees a price low enough to take a gamble on.

Your lens sounds like a better bargain than mine (which cost £16.50 inc delivery - an ebay purchase) since, as you can see from my pictures, mine is in really tatty condition. But, £10 doesn't go far these days with Diesel at £1.40+ a LITRE, so a price this low is still a bargain if the lens is actually useable.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WEIRD! Reply with quote

Mine's like new.. and it would seem given the very large size for a 'c' mount that this lens is 'stoppered' to be a 'c' mount at the rear, as the glass and front element are as big as one would expect a standard 35mm film 75mm focal length to be? It seems not to vignette at all at any aperture Smile

img][/img]

Doug

SXR_Mark wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Hi Doug

Good buy! It's sellers like that who allow us to get great bargains. Post a rubbish picture with a naff description and it guarantees a price low enough to take a gamble on.

Your lens sounds like a better bargain than mine (which cost £16.50 inc delivery - an ebay purchase) since, as you can see from my pictures, mine is in really tatty condition. But, £10 doesn't go far these days with Diesel at £1.40+ a LITRE, so a price this low is still a bargain if the lens is actually usable.

[

Mark
[

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine for $125, but it was never used and looked completely new Wink

The lens is soft and nice wide open, good for portraits and sharp when stopped down...

Enjoy your lens Wink