Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax FA 100-300/4.7-5.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Pentax FA 100-300/4.7-5.8 Reply with quote

I bought this lens yesterday because it's very useful to have an AF tele-zoom and the only 300mm I have is the Tair-3 which is so impractically huge that I never take it outside the house. It came down to this or the 50-200 which really wasn't long enough. This also has the benefit of an aperture ring and is therefore usable with any K-mount camera.

It was very cheap for a modern lens and so far has been really surprisingly good. Probably falls into being not current yet not a classic. The colour rendition is beautiful and there is plenty of contrast, the CA isn't terrible although none of these show it. I'd take this over a new budget Sigma or Tamron any day. Granted, it is a little bulky (yet light) and so slow that it'll probably be unusable on overcast days without a tripod but then it's f2.8 equivalent would cost at least 20x as much.

It's making me wonder which other FA zooms are worth trying out...