Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How is the Sony SEL18-55?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: How is the Sony SEL18-55? Reply with quote

Hello.Even if there is a MFLenses forum I am asking about this lens ,because it seems that here is a little NEX community so you could give me some opinions on this lens compared with other kit lenses or other lenses in the focus range .Please don't be shy ,post pictures also,if you have.
It seems to me a little pricey vs other kit zooms like EF 18-55IS or Zuiko 14-42 .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. It show barrel distortion at 18mm and pincushion at 55mm but otherwise it's fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this kit lens better than my EFs 18-55 IS because the aluminum housing and better build quality. It works fine on my 5N with lens correction enabled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my child use it well, easy an good perfomance. i use the SEL 16mm and a lot of my M42. I zoom by my shoes. With the correction in the Nex5N is it a Lens, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if that lens correction works also on the NEX3?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Do you know if that lens correction works also on the NEX3?

No, must be made "by hand" with Lightroom profiles, PTLens, etc.

Only NEX-C3, 5N and 7 have in-cam-correction.

In my opinion the kit-lenses are "OK", even on NEX-3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my short experience with the lens (Ive had my 5n for only a month) I have to confess that I rather like it!

Its certainly of a better build quality than any DSLR kit lenses that Ive have experience with and optically is way better than the 14-42mm that Ive used on a ep-1.

I find it to be decently sharp when stopped down and although there is some distortion at both ends of the zoom range, I haven't yet found it to be distracting (not a problem when shooting jpeg on the 5n).

Very underrated IMO.