Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First film shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: First film shots Reply with quote

[Edit] Oops - posted in the colour film section. Could some kind mod please move? Thanks.

As I mentioned in a previous thread I've only just started with film. In fact these are from the first roll of film. I'm using a Bronica ETRSi with WLF (thankfully it came with a manual). I also have a Exacta EXA 1a but I haven't finished the first roll of film so don't know how those are going to turn out.

Two shots taken with the Bronica, 75mm f2.8 lens, on Ilford FP4+ film (wanted something a bit forgiving for my first attempt). I hadn't found my lightmeter at this point so all exposures were estimated.

oh yeah, I toned one ... I can already feel the frowning... Wink

Things I learned...

1) Bloody hell, shallow d.o.f takes on a new meaning with Medium Format. Need to adjust my dSLR-mind estimates to cater for the difference - or just start remembering to read the distance scale on the lenses

2) Doing portrait orientation using a WLF was like trying to thread a banana through the eye of a needle.

3) Film really IS more fun! I feel like I've just started photography all over again and I love it.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Comments, tips, hints, advice very much appreciated (I'm thick skinned so be brutally honest!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, I took care of the moving... and a very good first effort too. (Beware of, say, effort #3, which for some reason I find always gets me)

Your exposure estimates are just right, and I do like the toned one as well.

The DOF is like you say Laughing with med format.
Bananas through the eye of a needle, indeed. I suppose that's why they had to invent the eye level finder Very Happy And why TLRs are 6x6, though I've had to shoot several times with my back to the scene and the camera inverted up over my head.

I find I just simply enjoy messing with and using the old film cameras much more than anything modern and/or digital. it's nice to be able to have this as a hobby.

Now for the brutally honest part: PLEASE upload these in a LARGER SIZE, damnit Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first attempt, congrats! I look forward more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good to me (even if they aren't much bigger than contact prints! Wink Very Happy ).

Looking forward to seeing some more.

K.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to film, good first shots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film is always challenging. Good start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone (and thanks Nesster for moving the thread)

Sorry about the small images. I uploaded at this size as I couldn't find the forum image size rules prior to exporting so exported at 500 pixels - I now know it's 1600 max size as indicated in the uploader tool so I'll know next time.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I honestly didn't know if they would turn out but was delighted with the results. I'm half-way through another roll of FP4+ and have a roll of HP5+ just waiting to be loaded (the other back as the Ektar in it).