Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Celtic MD 35 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Minolta Celtic MD 35 f2.8 Reply with quote

I keep trying too say no. Then I look on the Bay and see a lens with no bids, and LBA kicks in.
Starting bid of .99 cents with reasonable shipping. I look at the pics and the description and I know if I place a bid I will win.
Mechanically it has no issues. No scratches on lenses or fungus and works perfectly. But looks wise I'd rate it as a BRGN lens, but with a good clean it will look better.

I still hesitate. I really don't need another 35mm Minolta lens. So I look at the pics again and think: isn't this the version that has the same optics as the Rokkor version.
So I place my bid. I know I will win it for .99 cents, but to be safe I put in a top bid of $2.15. Smile
Less then an hour and a half till the auction closes, so I watch TV to pass the time. My show goes off and I walk over to the computer to pay for my lens.
I'm already planning the test I will run against my other 2 Minolta 35's.
So I log on to the the bay and sure enough I had just won it for .99 cents. Very Happy
Here are the listing pics from my new toy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, for 99c it looks great! So, is this the official lens for the Boston
Celtics or what? Or do you have to play Loreena McKennitt CDs when the
lens arrives. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Thanks,
Good point. I guess I should provide some info on the Celtic line. The Celtic line was Minoltas Econmy line. It started back in the MC line and continued thru the MD series.
Sometimes they would have less features. Like having no stop down lever. With the Celtic line it helps if you know exactly what you're buying.
In this case they are thought to be optically the same with minor changes. This has a different grip then the Rokkor version would.

One reason I wanted this is because it is really a different lens then the early lenses.
I have the MC Rokkor HG which is a 7/6. The later Rokkors, Celtic, and MD lenses are a 5/5.
So it should be interesting how both lenses render images. Tomorrow I can pick up my early 35 /4 QE lens also. Which is a 5/4.

Last edited by walter g on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just double checked and the lens is exactly what I thought it was. Very Happy
It's a gen. 1 MD Minolta Celtic, exactly what I was hoping for. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting if the 24mm Celtic (if they made it) is any good as 24mm Rokkors ain't cheap any more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The celtic line haven't the same multicoated than the Mc and MD ones. The diafragm mechanism and the kind of metal used in the focus mechanism should be different too.

The same thing happened with the Hexar serie, in the Konica brand.

About the 28 and 35 mm lenses, were common that the 7 elements designs were replaced by a newer design of 5 elements lenses.

Enjoy.

Rino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Walter, I think you will like it!
a Minolta Celtic 28mm was the second lens I ever bought some 30+ years ago, and I loved this light little lens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I got the lens today. Shocked Shocked
I had a little extra time I didn't think I'd have.So I decide to take some test shots.
I thought I'd try an expierment first. Canon EOS 10D with macro adapter, with 2x TC, then Minolta Celtic 35 2.8
Maximum focus distance goes from about 6" to a little over 2'.
Of course Murphys law kicked in and as soon as I did this shot my battery went dead. Crying or Very sad
Any comments welcome. I'm also curious if anyone has tried this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more pic using the 2X TC. Please look at these 2 photos and make whatever comments you have. I have a Minolta 2X convertor I don't need.
I thought about changing the mount to Canon EOS. My own version of a MD EOS adapter. Do you thinnk it's worth doing??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you don't mind comments......your two shots don't look sharp on my screen, that's if sharpness is important to you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well if you don't mind comments......your two shots don't look sharp on my screen, that's if sharpness is important to you?

Thank You, all comments are welcome and apreceiated.The shots are wide open so I don't expect them to be really sharp, but I agree with you they don't look sharp on my screen either.I would expect better results then this.
I will take more shots with no TC and see what they turn out like.
Thanks again, Walter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the 2nd one looks sharper to me Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Interestingly, the 2nd one looks sharper to me Smile

Thank You. I normally post any processing info, but this time I forgot to.
The first shot is straight out of the camera resized but no PP at all.
The second shot is a slight crop,minor sharpening, and resized. No other PP.
Both shots are wide open, but with me using a TC I guess you'd say for comparison they are at 5.6 ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to repeat the shot exactly, but with a 10D and macro adapter I can't.
This is the same flower shot at the same time of day.Resized, but no PP
This is shot at 5.6. I will post a shot wide open hopefully later today.
Comments and Critiques are welcome. This is a new Cone Flower I bought this year.Colors are pretty close to the plant.

This shot is at f2.8. No PP just resized. C/C welcome.