Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Balda Baldax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Balda Baldax Reply with quote

This Baldax came blanketed in a thick layer of slimy dust, like a dark-tan duvet held close on a winter night. The lens, the mechanisms, everything came drowned in the stuff -- the previous owner had stored it unfolded, for a number of years, in her garage. After a thorough, lengthy cleaning, the camera needed to be photographed.

Dating a Baldax poses some problems as the information about them is scattered and of unknown reliability. However, some of the camera's manufacturing details provide some clue. In terms of features -- the folding viewfinder and lack of gizmos on the back being key telltale features -- this Baldax appears to be from the early 1903s. Of note this camera body has a similar viewfinder and construction to the Rodenstock Citonette, a variant of the Baldax manufactured in 1932, bolstering the likelihood of this camera being about 80 years old.

Here is the Rodenstock:

Image by Michele Solmi, http://www.flickr.com/photos/potomo/

However, a solid argument could be made that this camera was manufactured in either 1936 or 1937. The Baldax plays a subtle, but important, role in Camera history. The model was copied in Japan as the Semi Proud, which became the Semi Olympus. This camera line became the Olympus camera line. My Baldax looks almost exactly like a Semi Olympus, with a different logo. The Semi Olympus was manufactured from 1936 until 1937 or 1938.

As such, I place this camera's age at between 1932 and 1936, making a possibly erroneous assumption that the Baldax clone in Japan was released after the Baldax had already been on the market in Germany.

Adding credence to the camera's age is the Carl Zeiss Jena lens, which would hint that it was made pre-WWII because Jena was in East Germany after the war. Also, the Zeiss lens does not say VEB Carl Zeiss Jena. Also, the Baldax wasn't manufactured after the 1930s, and that last bit is really the most convincing evidence.

Additionally, later Baldax models had all kinds of gizmos and such on the backs. This camera has no such gizmos, just two red windows.

The Baldax line existed until the late 1930s and all were made in the Balda factory in Dresden. After WWII, the Dresen factory, which apparently survived the fire storm, was rebranded Belca.

Baldax cameras today are regarded as well made, still highly usable cameras. Though designed as vest-pocket models, I'm of the mind that they're a bit too large and heavy for that use. Cargo-pant-pocket models, that's more accurate.

When the film comes back from this camera, I'll post the scans. I am cautiously optimistic about it since I tested the bellows and it seems to have no light leaks (I closed the bathroom door, turned off the light, and shone a small flashlight inside the bellows -- no pinpoints.)

Using this camera has been mixed. Compared to the Perkeo I bought at the same garage sale, the years of open (unfolded) storage in a garage took their toll on this Baldax. The red glass sliding covers make a scraping noise when they move, the winder feels gritty, and the camera -- even after a thorough cleaning -- still has hidden dirt and leaves a grimy residue on my fingers and hands after prolonged use.

And now some artsy macros shots!

And, if you'd like to see the whole 48-photo set, here's the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102333270936007447976/BaldaBaldax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking folder, look forward to seeing some shots from this beauty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the excellent presentation and story. I hope to see the photos soon!

Re. dating these, you should be able to make out a serial number on the shutter - it's on the outside edge, sometimes partly covered by the hinge that attaches shutter to standard. That, plus looking up Zeiss numbers will narrow down the year of manufacture.

http://motamedi.info/serial.htm

At first these cameras all look alike, then they all look different, and then they all look alike again... -Zen(obia) of Folders

Laughing

I had found a 6x9 Hapo Balda and like it quite a bit. The body on yours also is somewhat reminiscent of the ones Certo used in the Super Sport Dolly. Sometimes when I'm shifting through ebay listings it takes me some time to identify a familiar looking folder - is it a Balda made, a Certo, or what. And usually it's mainly my own memory at fault: I pick out the distinguishing characteristic but can't for the life of me figure out which camera has the characteristic.

You mentioned *ahem* another camera in better shape? I hope we'll see that one as well and photos from it too.

I think you cleaned this one up pretty nice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are rather handsome pieces. Better designed aesthetically than the typical folder.

The size is an issue. Like some of the earlier 4.5x6cm format cameras the designers didn't try too hard to limit the size. I have a Welta Perle (much uglier than yours ! rust is worse than dust, believe me) of similar specification and date that is much larger than, say, a properly compact camera like the Ikonta 520 or the Kodak Duo 620

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to get my first encounter with rust on a camera. I just bought a Baldinette and a Retina 1a on eBay for a bit under $20, and the baldinette has rust:

Last summer I restored a VERY rusty, and in places perforated, 1941 Coke vending machine my brother had under his porch. So I can remove this rust just fine, it's figuring out how to deal with any holes or other openings that's got me flummoxed. I'm hoping there are no perforations or anything when the rust is gone. If I can get it cosmetically repaired, that will be enough to do some artsy macro shots. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What light did you use in the second picture with that shiny surface, first set?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second shot in that set is not mine, but it looks rather like some opaque, white plastic and an overhead, diffused light.