Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX-5 and power consumption
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: NEX-5 and power consumption Reply with quote

Hi

even if I use the battery grip including 2 standard Sony batteries with the NEX-5 I can only shoot max 120 images and both batteries are empty.

Ok I use the cam only in MF mode with peaking function so maybe a higher power consumption as in standard mode. Nevertheless the number of images are extremly low.

Is this perhaps a malfunction of my cam or has anyone the same experiences ?

Thanks in advance.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

letting the lcd on all the time consume energy, try to use the viewfinder to take pics Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
letting the lcd on all the time consume energy, try to use the viewfinder to take pics Wink

Great idea Poilu. Surprised

I can assure you that I normally switch off the cam after each shot or a set of shots. All other settings are on minimum time to save the energy.

Wink Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 batteries for 120 picts? Are you always shot in RAW or RAW+JPG? and high quality?
my case, 1 battery is for more than 120, plus I use flash for 4-5 shot.
Letting LCD on will make cam turn off by itself in few seconds(but it doesn't really turn off, if we push the shutter button, it will operate immediately), no need to turn off. I often do this than turn off the cam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something doesn't sound right there! I took one battery to Ibiza, shot about 200 images, 10 minutes of hd video and still had 25% battery left.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Something doesn't sound right there! I took one battery to Ibiza, shot about 200 images, 10 minutes of hd video and still had 25% battery left.

Just checked my image numbering, it appears that I actually shot 350 images Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't counted my images per battery, but I have realized that with the new firmware (V4) the NEX-3 consumes more power than before.
Since I own three rechargeable batteries for the NEX that is not very annoying to me. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

+1 I shoot count less images with my Next-3 usually two 2-3hrs photo trip eat 50% of battery. Focus peaking frequenty on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony NP-FM500H battery has 1650mAH.

Most power is used by screen (3", 1MP), live view processing, AF lens motors, & flash charging.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf, have you tested it without the power grip ? I think there is something wrong. I take easy 180 - 250 shots with focus peaking and zooming for review, automatic power safe after 1minute and then is still 25 % accu capacity when i change it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
Rolf, have you tested it without the power grip ? I think there is something wrong. I take easy 180 - 250 shots with focus peaking and zooming for review, automatic power safe after 1minute and then is still 25 % accu capacity when i change it.

Many thanks all for your comments.

I will check it again with and without battery grip. But it seems that may be the new firmware V4 will have a higher power consumption due to the peaking.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhh, my GH1 is good with one battery for some 500-1000 shots and even if I do a lot of video, it last quite long. I always have a 2nd charged battery with me, but hardly ever need it. So I understand your disappointment very well and I hope you find the cause soon Rolf!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did use Nex , battery was fully charged, after 120 shoots and two-three 1 minute video battery status is 90% , camera was mustly off when I didn't shoot. I did walk 2-3 hrs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made yesterday perhaps 60-70 shots with a MF lens. After that the 2 batteries within the grip were empty. Will try it this week with 1 battery and without grip only and the kit lens. Otherwise I have to go to my dear dealer.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong need to fix it Sad pretty clear.