Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seeking info on Celestron 500mm f8 mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Seeking info on Celestron 500mm f8 mirror lens Reply with quote

Hey y'all,
Does anybody have any info on a multicoated, black, Celestron mirror lens: 500mm f/8. It uses T-mounts, accepts 72mm hoods (a Celestron branded hood is included, with Celestron branded case) and focuses down to 1:3 ratio. It says "Made in Japan for Celestron".

Any info on the maker, etc. would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celestron is brand usually connected with telescopes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true. But in the past the also sold t-mount catadioptric lenses for cameras. Not sure of the years though. I see a lot about a 500mm f5.6 that was supposed to be a low contrast lens, but not finding much about their branded f/8 lens.

Celestron mirror lenses apparently have a bit of a cult following.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link Here

I read in the pentax forums of someone using this- and theres a downloadable manual at that link that talks of its use with cameras-(page 10).

PS-May the force be with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. This is not a spotting scope. It is a camera mirror lens. I'll upload some pics of it.

Found one:
[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Link Here

I read in the pentax forums of someone using this- and theres a downloadable manual at that link that talks of its use with cameras-(page 10).

That's the 1250mm f/10...

Quote:
Most Celestron spotting scopes are designed to be dual purpose visual and photographic instruments. For photographic use, all that’s required is a T-Adapter for the spotting scope and the correct T-ring for your particular 35mm SLR camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:
Link Here

That's the 1250mm f/10...

Quote:
Most Celestron spotting scopes are designed to be dual purpose visual and photographic instruments. For photographic use, all that’s required is a T-Adapter for the spotting scope and the correct T-ring for your particular 35mm SLR camera.

He says that this isn't the kind-I thought the manual might be insightful-as obviously no one has found any more information on it.

He is looking for info on the lens pictured above in his last quote.

Very Happy

I am coming up with nothing hopefully someone who has experienced using will show up . Appears to be a tough lens to find any info on "cheekygeek".

Heres one a Macro- Multicoated Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Nope. This is not a spotting scope. It is a camera mirror lens. I'll upload some pics of it.

Found one:
[/img]

Looks like soligor c/d 500mm mirror = medium quality (far lower than tokina / tamron / nikon / olympus ...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rule out the Soligor Cd- "cheekygeek" says that the Celestron takes a 72 mm thread hood and the Soligor CD takes 77mm.

"Nesster"-Jussi has/had one on his flickr.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes spy where this is going Wink http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/153792-sale-celestron-500mm-f8-multi-coated-mirror-lens-w-hood-cap-case.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus spoke the master Robert Monaghan...

"Celestron, Meade, Questar, Zoomar...

These manufacturers enjoy cult status for their mirror lenses. In general, a fast mirror lens is much more expensive than a slow one. The earliest mirrors were generally very fast (e.g., Nikon 500mm f/5). Subsequently, the trend has been towards a slower less costly and bulky mirror lens size (e.g., 500mm f/8, 1000mm f/10 or f/11). So any specialty mirror or telescope maker enjoys cult status for providing a faster mirror lens alternative, even if the price is equally impressive.

The requirements of telescope optics are quite different from the needs of cameras. The eye has an acceptance size of only 7mm or so, whereas a 24x36mm film area is much more difficult to cover without various forms of coma and other distortion. In other words, you probably would find most camera lenses make less than optimal telescopes, and vice versa.

However, these third party lens manufacturers provide a series of telescopes and mirror lenses which are adapted or suitable for camera use. You have probably already guessed that such specialty lenses are not needed by most photographers, and few of those who might need one can afford one.

The performance of these optics is often just short of amazing. Questar even claims that its telescopes reach or exceed the theoretical maximum resolution for telescopes of their size. Most telescopes have mirrors that are within 1/4th of a wavelength of light of being perfectly ground. I have a ten inch wide mirror telescope whose surface is accurate to within 1/10th of a wavelength of light! By comparison, glass lens optics are far less precisely aligned and positioned."
for example, here