Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach TV-Proclar 1.2/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach TV-Proclar 1.2/135 Reply with quote

Hi folks

I just acquired three of these TV-Proclar f1.2 135mm lenses from an old rear projection TV.

Unable to find any info about them, anyone know anything about them or even used one?

They are huge things with 112mm diameter front element. Definitely coated as they have a deep purple colouration, rear focal distance seem pretty short, might be able to trim the barrel somewhat though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them, but are they even usable on an SLR?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, I will have to experiment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider-Kreuznach TV-Proclar 1.2/135 Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi folks

I just acquired three of these TV-Proclar f1.2 135mm lenses from an old rear projection TV.

Unable to find any info about them, anyone know anything about them or even used one?

They are huge things with 112mm diameter front element. Definitely coated as they have a deep purple colouration, rear focal distance seem pretty short, might be able to trim the barrel somewhat though.

Got any piccys of them??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly noy, I'm film only atm as the battery for my EOS won't charge anymore, only bought it 4 months ago, damn dodgy Chinese batteries!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sadly noy, I'm film only atm as the battery for my EOS won't charge anymore, only bought it 4 months ago, damn dodgy Chinese batteries!

Make sure it's not the charger. I had a problem with my 10D where the light would flash and then come on full to say the battery was charged, but it wasn't at all. Battery was fine. Charger was b*ggered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but, aren't all the lenses designated/marked TV, for TV cameras?
I further guess, it would be closely comparable to a C(Cine) mount lens?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are from a rear projection TV, they are projection lenses, there is no mount at all, just four lugs where they were screwed to a base plate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to measure the flange distance it was designed for?

Get that battery fixed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the application they are designed for one can make some asumptions:
Fast to give bright image - ok that was simple.
Furthermore optimized for a very high image contrast - but low resolution.

But I am very eager to see images made with such a lens Smile Dreamy background with very short DOF - but is sharpness ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identical or designated R, G, B?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Identical or designated R, G, B?

That's a good thought, perhaps the coatings/optics are specifically designed individually for a particular colour Shocked

Come on Ian, get that battery fixed Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look identical rather than colour specific.

I've ordered a new battery but it will be on a slow boat from China...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
They look identical rather than colour specific.

I've ordered a new battery but it will be on a slow boat from China...

Jump start the old one from a car battery - as long as you take the leads off before it gets too warm you'll be OK!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I binned it, was crap from day one, every charge it lasted less time than before until it got to the point where it didn't hold a charge at all, never buy generic Chinese batteries, this one was really garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I binned it, was crap from day one, every charge it lasted less time than before until it got to the point where it didn't hold a charge at all, never buy generic Chinese batteries, this one was really garbage.

So how come your next one is on a slow boat from.............. China? Twisted Evil

I sympathise. I have managed to revive batteries like this with a jolt charge, but it's never permanent. Once they start to go, that's normally it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I've bought three and the supplier will replace them if they die, it cost less for three from this supplier than one Uniross one in my local camera shop.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the three lenses are RGB, especially if its an old project TV.

Any more info how this turned out? Borrow a friends camera for crying out loud! I wanna see how this thing performs (or I might have to go cannabilize some TV myself)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get pics posted ASAP, rear projections TVs were thousands a few years ago and are now almost worthless so are available very cheap secondhand, the Sony ones had Schneider lenses, not sure about the others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics, these are colossal lenses. I think they are for a component video system as they have Cyan, Magenta and Yelllow coloured coatings.

The small lens sat on top is a Canon FL 2.5/35 for scale.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do the modification ASAP.
I can't wait to see the result Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are huge Smile

I will look at the thread too- it is interesting to see what will come from those lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the lenses are in two pieces, I took one apart and there is an optical block that appears to be the lens and a mount which has a strange rear element in it. This element is tinted (in this case, blue) and is flat at the back but extremely concave at the front. It appears the colouration I was seeing isn't the coatings or the lens itself, it's just the rear element.

It is going to be a reall challenge to get one of these working as a camera lens. If I do successfully convert one, I'll convert the other two and offer them for sale here.

I think I might have to email Schneider for some data on these lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, the lenses are in two pieces, I took one apart and there is an optical block that appears to be the lens and a mount which has a strange rear element in it. This element is tinted (in this case, blue) and is flat at the back but extremely concave at the front. It appears the colouration I was seeing isn't the coatings or the lens itself, it's just the rear element.

they are aimed at projecting R, G and B colours separately. If the back element contributes to optical scheme (likely it is, since is not just a flat filter), best thing is to use them for b/w.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

they are aimed at projecting R, G and B colours separately. If the back element contributes to optical scheme (likely it is, since is not just a flat filter), best thing is to use them for b/w.

Yes, I have a feeling they will only work for BW. Rather than being RGB, they are Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Component video can be either RGB or CMYK (K being black so is not projected).