Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CANON FD S.C. 1.8/50mm on 5DmkII & crazy center swirl
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: CANON FD S.C. 1.8/50mm on 5DmkII & crazy center swirl Reply with quote

Well it's adapted version. I removed aperture and move front elements group closer to rear one for few mm. Now infinity is easily reached without mirror being hit.

I love how lens performs but on some occasions it produces center swirl like on sample bellow. Do you think that is normal for this lens or a byproduct of a bit changed design?

Last edited by Pancolart on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the center is now more unsharp than the corners, I think that its performance is greatly affected. You didn't flip an element upside down while re-assembling it? It is not normal for any lens I have seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though is does look strange, lens performs very well in most conditions and is assembled correctly for sure (only between groups distance is changed).

Last edited by Pancolart on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enjoy a lens that is unique. Any 50mm will be sharp enough...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were mine I'd be looking ascance at my glazed adapter, thinking hmmmm, trying an unglazed adapter, checking for finger prints on the glass etc.
But yours has been converted so doesn't need an adapter?

If it doesn't stand you very much money, I'd agree with otheres: you've got a special effect lens Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested i've used it some more. This is all F1.8, the lens aperture has been taken out.
Vignetting caused by a bit too long hood. For 1201px versions and more photos of this day you can check:
https://picasaweb.google.com/pancolart/CANONFD1850mmConvertedEOSWithCenterSwirl?authuser=0&feat=directlink

[img]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zbNs8WI-EvU/TjKDjNawziI/AAAAAAAADXs/UqR4Qb5JhCQ/s800/32.png[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was very cool. Maybe because I like swirly bokeh.

It's like the clone of Biotar 58/2 after Helios ... Smile where swirly only shows up when the background has more texture and at closer distance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because of the change in distance between the two groups. I saw a similar thing when I modified a Helios-44 by removing the rear group.

Nice lens, intriguing effect, you'll just have to work around the swirl and learn how to get the best out of it. Looks live you're already getting there, some great shots in that series.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. It's really quite different then Biotar which swirls on edges but you are right about meeting similar conditions to produce swirl.

I will sell the lens and move toward another strange modification. Some ideas already in my mind Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate the process of modifying the lens? I am just curious Smile
It came up in my mind that I could get swirly 50mm lens that sharper and flare free than my Biotar/Helios lens Smile