Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 50mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Got my new camera(yesterday) and other stuff. I`m making a lot of tests of the lens. I have 3x 50 1.4 - two Planars c/y and one Yashica. Planars have better microcontrast, but the yashica is sharper wide open!!Not much but i see difference. Very interesting lens - i will keep it(one Planar too). I will post more samples for a few weeks. Now just one Wink
Btw i have a problem with this Yashica and Planars(ae) i think Orio has got the same problem - i can use aperture only at 1.4-2.8. Can somebody help?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take off the lens, can you then open/close the aperture without any problems?

If yes, then there may be an issue with your Camera (5D?) +C/Y lens combination.

Please post pics of your adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
if you take off the lens, can you then open/close the aperture without any problems?

If yes, then there may be an issue with your Camera (5D?) +C/Y lens combination.

Yes if i take off the lens everithing work without the problem. I got 5D.
I got adapter from you hk Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Yes if i take off the lens everithing work without the problem. I got 5D.
I got adapter from you hk Wink

LOL ... i forgot ... too much on my mind recently.
Let me check ...
Also, when you have the Adapter on the lens, but off the body,, can you still open-close the aperture?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

Let me check ...
Also, when you have the Adapter on the lens, but off the body,, can you still open-close the aperture?

Yes it work well with adaptor+lens but on camera not. I think it is camera-lens issue (other c/y lenses works well - distagon 28 2.8 sonnar 135 2.8 and tessar 200 3.5). I was thinking about cut off part of this metal thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Let me check ...

Yes it work well with adaptor+lens but on camera not. I think it is camera-lens issue (other c/y lenses works well - distagon 28 2.8 sonnar 135 2.8 and tessar 200 3.5). I was thinking about cut off part of this metal thing.

so the adapter does work with some of the the other C/Y lenses? ... hmmm ...

Please post a pic of this metal thing. I think it is something to 'protect' the aperture lever?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same issue with a yashica ML 50 1.7 and my 5d. Sometimes the lens stay at full aperture.

I just set the aperture ring to a small number (ie 11 or 16), then I gently turn the lens a few degrees until the blades will close.

Seems to be an issue with the metal tab at the back of the lens, and with the lens contacts in the eos body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is this moving part. I think is too long for my 5D. Is any other way than cut it off?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide the lever all the way in...check that.

OK set the aperture to f16
Now slide the lever so that the lens stops down to f16
Take a small bit of cardboard a matchbook peice works well and push it in the space that the lever leaves when you slide it to stop down.
It should be a snug fit but not so you will struggle to remove it later if you want.
Now the lens is in a "stop down mode" Consider this switch the same as a A/M switch on the outside of some M42 lenses.
You may now attach the adapter and work with the lens in stop down mode.

Let me know if this does not work. There could be one other issue but it would require photos to show you how to do it.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Slide the lever all the way in...check that.

OK set the aperture to f16
Now slide the lever so that the lens stops down to f16
Take a small bit of cardboard a matchbook peice works well and push it in the space that the lever leaves when you slide it to stop down.
It should be a snug fit but not so you will struggle to remove it later if you want.
Now the lens is in a "stop down mode" Consider this switch the same as a A/M switch on the outside of some M42 lenses.
You may now attach the adapter and work with the lens in stop down mode.

Let me know if this does not work. There could be one other issue but it would require photos to show you how to do it.

Cheers
Andy

I`m affraid that i will scratch something inside the body if i block it. Can this part be unscrewed/removed ? Or i must cut it a little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the lens on the adapter while opened up. Now stop it down while watching this pin. Is the pin moving at it should or hitting the adapter somewhere?
I have pins and baffles longer than the one you have on this lens that do not hit the mirrorbox walls of the camera.
I think your adapter is stopping the lever from moving freely.
If so blocking it into place is a solution. You can measure to see if it touches the Mirror box walls if you are worried.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Put the lens on the adapter while opened up. Now stop it down while watching this pin. Is the pin moving at it should or hitting the adapter somewhere?
I have pins and baffles longer than the one you have on this lens that do not hit the mirrorbox walls of the camera.
I think your adapter is stopping the lever from moving freely.
If so blocking it into place is a solution. You can measure to see if it touches the Mirror box walls if you are worried.

No is not the adapter. On adapter lens work great - this part blocks on body. I think it hits this thing:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm
Well you can file it a bit Very Happy
Cover the rear element first with a microfibre cloth and then masking tape. It should only take a few swipes with a file.
Also if you never plan to sell or use with film you can do surgery and remove the lever.

Looks like 5D's have very inconsistant build tolerances. I do have a couple lenses that hit that spot in the mirrorbox as well.
Those pins where much longer though.
BTW even if you file this part a bit you should still be able to use on Contax Yashica bodies.
Just don't go to far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more and a crop

(btw Yashica works now very good from f/1.4 to f/8, Planar still bad-i will cut this metal thing a little)

100% 0 sharpening

Bokeh is VERY silmilar too Planar. Almost same. But planar got better coating and contrast in some situatuions. Yashica is great lens I will take more photos and share soon Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricl wrote:

I had a copy of this lens(yashica) and it was really bad wide open and it didn't improve much when stoped down. Your pictures makes me feel like getting a new ML 50 1.4. Nice sharpness and lovely color!

thx
Search for better copy or buy Planar!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ML 50 1.4, I think is quite sharp wide open and very nice to use,; all shots wide open

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots seta666 !
Few more from 50/1.4 ML

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
wow, beatiful shots with 1.4!
I have 50/1.7 and I just love it. Do you think that 1.4 is better in terms of sharpness and it's a worthwhile upgrade?

I don`t have 1.7 but my 1.4 is sharper than planar wo so i think is very worthwhile; but there is some sample variation(in terms of planars too)

here is one in bargain price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAST-50mm-1-4-Yashica-ML-suit-Canon-DSLR-400D-450D-etc-/330442607578?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item4cefea0bda#ht_500wt_1154

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricl wrote:
I had a copy of this lens(yashica) and it was really bad wide open and it didn't improve much when stoped down. Your pictures makes me feel like getting a new ML 50 1.4. Nice sharpness and lovely color!

I used three copies of this lens, all of them were consistently excellent from wide open. I don't believe there was significant quality variation at manufacturing; chances are that your lens has been dropped and/or improperly serviced. That having said, I am waiting for a 50/1.4 Planar to arrive Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
wow, beatiful shots with 1.4!
I have 50/1.7 and I just love it. Do you think that 1.4 is better in terms of sharpness and it's a worthwhile upgrade?

If what you have is a Yashica ML 50/1.7, then I would definitely recommend going for the 50/1.4. I don't find my 50/1.7 that great; it's really no comparison to Planar 50/1.7, which is so much better in every respect. Comparing Planar 50/1.7 and YML 50/1.4, I think I would prefer the latter, especially considering the price differential.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
electricl wrote:

I used three copies of this lens, all of them were consistently excellent from wide open. I don't believe there was significant quality variation at manufacturing; chances are that your lens has been dropped and/or improperly serviced. That having said, I am waiting for a 50/1.4 Planar to arrive Smile

Maybe, but you can find some opinons in the net that this lens wasn`t very good(f.e. electricl told me that he is not fully satisfied with the yashica)and it made me wonder because I have two equal samples...
btw i had 2 copies of Planar 1,4/50 and one of them is clearly better wo - and better copy has got cleaning marks on front and some dust inside Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised by how sharp the ML 50/1.4 is wide open, however, even 'though it does get sharper when stopped down it never reaches the sharpness you might get with a Leica or similarly sharp lens.

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
I use my ML 50/1.4 regularly now but only wide open. I have a love/hate relationship with it as I'm not sure that I like the bokeh but I also don't mind busy/funky bokeh as it does add some thing to an image. It's almost an advantage for bokeh to be particularly busy/funky compared to just being mediocre or average. The other extreme is obviously also very desireable, such as the smooth bokeh of the Sigmalux. The ML can never be accused of having smooth or creamy bokeh!
JJ

With all 50/1.4 lenses I tried, I found the Nikkor Ai to have the busiest (and quite irregular) bokeh wide open. It's affected by coma, so it's not round or cat-eye circles of confusion at the edged but something close to triangles.

The Zuiko 50/1.4 is quite awkward in its rendering, too; it draws semi-closed circles at the edges.

Yashica ML 50/1.4 is surprisingly close to my newly acquired Planar 50/1.4 in the way it renders OOF areas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, great samples! Did anyone possibly acquire YASHICA ML 1.4/50mm lens scheme? I searched everywhere but no success.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard 7/6 ULtron scheme (like Planar 1.4/50, Takumar/Pentax 1.4/50 and almost all other 1.4/5x lenses).