Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small Birds III- Olympic Sonnar 300 f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Small Birds III- Olympic Sonnar 300 f/4 Reply with quote

A preset lens of this age is not my first pick as a lens for small birds. Very heavy and a long throw when focusing makes for many many missed shots. But with patience as a virtue I Tried and here are the results...

Not as good as the Red MC 300 f/4 P6 mount but acceptable to me. One thing though...the Bokeh is among the smoothest of any lens I've ever used. Also the aperture with the 300mm Olympic had to be at f/8 as opposed to the F/11 I was able to use with the 300mm f/4 Red MC lens. May be a factor of the 77mm front lens element on the 300mm Olympic as opposed to the 86mm of the 300mm f/4 Red MC P6 mount lens. Shutter speeds with the 300mm Olympic at f/11 were just too slow And the focus confirmation would not work with the Pentax camera at f/11 as it did work with the 300 Red MC P6 lens. This means constantly moving back and forth with the Pre set ring from wide open to fix focus to the stop down point of f/8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb collection, great results!
indeed you have lot of patience as a virtue!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb collection, great results!
indeed you have lot of patience as a virtue!

Thank you Poilu. I really enjoy the challenge of shooting these small fast little birds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you trained enough to get fine results!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
And you trained enough to get fine results!

Thank you my friend. I'm still training.