Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old film bodies - 5D mirror?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Old film bodies - 5D mirror? Reply with quote

I have a couple or three old film bodies cluttering up my garage, including a couple of Canon 1000F's, the ubiquitous Zenit's, Praktica's etc.

Anyone know if the Canon 5D mirror happens to be the exact same size as the mirror in a film slr? I'm not brave enough to take it out to measure it!

Might be an inexpensive way of shaving a mirror - if it works then great, if it doesn't then it's only an old film slr mirror ruined Smile

There's a thought - what about the focus screen?????

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell, what I do know is that "measuring" a lens rear part with a film EOS does not mean that it works on a 5D!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least EOS 300 hits mirror with Mir 1B.

Blackout .. aargh, did the battery die .. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hard to tell, what I do know is that "measuring" a lens rear part with a film EOS does not mean that it works on a 5D!

What I was thinking was to take the mirror out of an old slr and use it in the 5D (having shaved it first), if I could find one that was the same size Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only the size, it also needs to be as thick as the 5D one. Kinda risky.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous ground! There is another mirror there too for AF which can get broken quite easily I believe. Stan (Trifox) should be able to help, he's shaved his 5D and 5D II Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use Exakta lenses safely on EOS3 without mirror hit.
I think the mirror sizes vary among different generations of camera bodies.

Last edited by lEo. on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Dangerous ground! There is another mirror there too for AF which can get broken quite easily I believe. Stan (Trifox) should be able to help, he's shaved his 5D and 5D II Shocked Shocked

and Koji , Orio also safest way to order a spare mirror from Canon and save it after.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to swap the mirror for an old one, unless you never want to use AF again. The 5D mirror is 2 way - it reflects only about 75% of the light to the focussing screen, the other 25% goes through the mirror to the AF sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old 06 .. number 5DC a mirror to give some sound when brushing Distagon 35 / 2,8. Sounds when the image up and the camera is in an upright position. It is so disgusting that I no longer use the Distagon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably I can help. At home I have the measures of the 5D mirror.

Last saturday the mirror of my 5D went off.
I thought some months earlier about shaving my mirror (FD 85/1.2 FD 20/2.8 and some other lenses would be happy), now it it probably a good starting point to do that Smile

At the moment I have glued the mirror with Gaffa tape in place, to test my new converted FD 24/1.4L.

But I am thinking about different ways:
a) Simply visit the Canon repair shop - probablsy I have to wait very long to get the camera back.
b) Glue the mirror with some fast glue - but Canon will no longer repair / adjust the fast fix.
c) Shaving the mirror - and the mirror frame, and glue afterwards
d) Use a real mirror - not only this ~ 50% transmission thing (probably with shaving it).

Version d) is the most appealing for me at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the 75% reflectivity to allow the AF sensor some light. I had just sort of assumed that the AF sensor was somewhere in the mirror/prism/viewfinder path. This totally rules out any old SLR mirror which will, of course, be 100% reflective!

Let me look up home much a new mirror costs............

Nope, found this page, which has put me right off the idea straight away!!!