Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinions on modded 50/1.2L (mimic Helios 40-2?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Opinions on modded 50/1.2L (mimic Helios 40-2?) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I took some engineering classes in college, and have been wanting the Helios 40-2 for it's swirly bokeh. So I did some research on it's construction, took apart my 50L (autofocus Shocked) lens, and changed some stuff around. Nothing permanent, so it wasn't a risk. Do you guys think I achieved swirly bokeh or does it need more work? Very Happy

and one with some foreground

Last edited by ensitmike on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice try Mike, but I think your autofocus lens miss the focus badly Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not focused on anything here though. Just testing the bokeh.

poilu wrote:
nice try Mike, but I think your autofocus lens miss the focus badly Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think poilu was joking Wink

This is an interesting piece of work, and you seem to have found some swirls! Not sure I'd be brave enough to do surgery on a 50/1.2L though Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cheap and safe way to get a Helios-40 like effect.

Buy a cheap Helios 44-2 and simply unscrew the rear element group.

Then you have all that swirly bokeh and diffuse glow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I have heard this. I'd love to see some shots from yours if you have any on-hand. Thanks for the tip!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There is a cheap and safe way to get a Helios-40 like effect.

Buy a cheap Helios 44-2 and simply unscrew the rear element group.

Then you have all that swirly bokeh and diffuse glow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, now that you say that... What he said was actually pretty funny.

Thanks though! I was pleased with the results and was still able to keep the autofocus function. Not that you MF guys care about that haha. The true bonus was the native eos mount though.
ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think poilu was joking Wink

This is an interesting piece of work, and you seem to have found some swirls! Not sure I'd be brave enough to do surgery on a 50/1.2L though Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These samples aren't great but you get the idea.

Swirly bokeh:

Diffuse highlight glow:

Not saying it's exactly like a Helios-40 but for five bucks for an old Helios-44 it's close enough to have fun with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I will definitely look into that. Now that I already modded my 50L though, what did you think of the results?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
These samples aren't great but you get the idea.

Swirly bokeh:

Diffuse highlight glow:

Not saying it's exactly like a Helios-40 but for five bucks for an old Helios-44 it's close enough to have fun with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensitmike wrote:
Very cool! I will definitely look into that. Now that I already modded my 50L though, what did you think of the results?

I think you are definitely onto a winner. Certainly acheived what you wanted. I look forward to seeing modded copies on t'internet in the near future Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensitmike wrote:

Looks like some great potential, try flower or bug shots if you don't have any gorgeous models hanging around Razz

Have you seen this thread, 59 pages of Helios inspiration: http://club.foto.ru/forum/view_topic.php?topic_id=261862&mode=l&page=1#listStart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked your results, different to the effect I got but I think yours is better, more sharp, look forward to seeing more from you in future. Thanks for sharing.