Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1938 leitz Hektor 13.5 (black lens) Photos added
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: 1938 leitz Hektor 13.5 (black lens) Photos added Reply with quote

I just picked this lens up off of ebay...should arrive next week! Anyone have any experience with this lens.I don't have a M39-M42 adapter yet so when I get the lens it will be mainly for close up/macro.
Here it is...I am afraid the pentacon 1.8/50 is not a good lens with bad lighting and close ups...sorry about the image quality(I will upload some more when time permits)

The inside...described as lense separation..maybe just oil?

Last edited by mo on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in good optical condition you'll be pleased with it. If it's not, then who knows!

I have one made in 1953, in M fitting, which is the same design but with coating. Condition is "quite good" optically, some dust bits inside and some minor scratches of the front element. I rarely use it on my Leica rangefinder but regularly use the lens head on a bellows with my Pentax DSLR. The thread of the head is 42mm diameter like the Praktica/Pentax BUT with a different pitch. Happily, it will engage firmly enough in a Praktica/Pentax mount to be safe. So what you need is a bellows and an M42 adapter if you don't have them already, and then you're readyto go - Very Happy Using it this way will let you unlock its potential. And bellows can still be bought reasonably.

Do try to get a lens hood to fit, and as deep as possible. My lens loses contrast without one if it's pointed towards the sun (if we're lucky enough to get any here!). You can pick up the Leitz telescoping A36 fitting hood on eBay quite cheaply sometimes, especially if it's a scruffy one.

I hope it's a nice one when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 leitz Hektor 13.5 (black lens) Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I don't have a M39-M42 adapter yet so when I get the lens it will be mainly for close up/macro.

Even with such an adapter you only can use that lens for close-ups.

But there is a way to use this lens on a DSLR. What you need is a Visioflex mount/helicoid for the front part of that lens. That Visioflex part can be adapted to a DSLR. Then you can use the Hektor even at infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor is absolutely correct, but the bellows method will cost less and permit an even wider focus range - from infinity downwards. And if you add an extension tube, you can do ultra close ups!

But I recognise that the bellows can be a bit bulky if you want to go walkabout. I have a BPM bellows which is quite solid (and has interchangeable mounts) and the weight of it on the K10 body is a fair burden on a neck strap. It's never bothered me as I almost always use it on a tripod.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, bellows are great, but sometimes a nuisance. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas,I will post up some photos when it arrives.I am trying to stay away from buying any bellows (mainly because it seems like hard work??)...but it looks like I will have too buy some one day. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellows are great - ! Not hard work at all and they open up all sorts of new avenues such as using enlarging lenses which can be bought cheaply very often and make great experimenters . . . "Don't Delay - Buy Today" as the adverts used to say. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Bellows are great - ! Not hard work at all and they open up all sorts of new avenues such as using enlarging lenses which can be bought cheaply very often and make great experimenters . . . "Don't Delay - Buy Today" as the adverts used to say. Very Happy

I already have 2 enlarger lenses (A Meopta and a no name brand)...They are a bit battered/haze but ok for interesting images... Laughing Thanks for the encouragement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

+100

I have several bellows with different mounts and they are an essentiial IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
scsambrook wrote:
Bellows are great - ! Not hard work at all and they open up all sorts of new avenues such as using enlarging lenses which can be bought cheaply very often and make great experimenters

I already have 2 enlarger lenses (A Meopta and a no name brand)...They are a bit battered/haze but ok for interesting images...

Indeed, bellows are (can be?) easy, or difficult, as we wish. The "optical bench" approach is not really portable. But I have three sets of cheap bellows, none very clumsy nor heavy, especially my favorite M42 Bellowscope (230g, extending 45-130mm).

The minimum extension of a bellows controls what can be done with various lenses. With a bellows that squeezes down to 35mm, I can use a 75mm EL (enlarging lens) at up to about 1.5m, good enough for portraits. With the Bellowscope, I can reach infinity focus with EL's longer than 85mm. I find that EL's in the 90-160mm range are good for non-macro photography. Shorter lenses may need to be put on tubes instead of bellows to reach a usable focus.

We are not restricted to EL's. I often use projector lenses, copy lenses, lenses scavenged from ruined old medium-format and Polaroid cameras, magnifiers -- indeed, any optical material that I can stuff into the bellows. Yes, bellows are indispensable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos added in first post.It looks like it has taken a beating over the years but I like character... Laughing
What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to try it out. The proof of the pudding is in the eating Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I know but it is night here...and I have such a busy day tomorrow...arghhhh. A new toy has arrived and I have no playtime!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only early eveing! Haven't you got any children you can pull out of bed for a quick "midnight portrait" Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a later LTM Hektor lens barrel only (missing the entire optical component)--quite a useful thing to have in and of itself. Mine has a front M42 thread (same pitch, or at least fully workable, with regular M42 lenses), so I use it as a variable extension tube for M42 lenses, as well as M39 enlarging lenses with a M39-M42 adaptor (naturally, you need another M39 adaptor to whatever your camera takes on the rear). I've had great fun using it with a El-Nikkor 135mm (a combination I have dubbed the Leikon); quite convenient that way although you don't have a ton of focusing range, I can take it when I normally couldn't lug around my bellows for fear of damaging it. Anyone looking for a very cheep yet quite large extension tube with some variability, try one of these out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
You have to try it out. The proof of the pudding is in the eating Smile

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/ernst-leitz-wetzlar-hektor-13-5-14-5-lens-image-samples-t40758.html
Here they are...I was rushed for time so not great subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly seems to render the colours very well Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I am limited to about 5ft focusing at the minimum mark and when I use the infinity mark I get a about an extra foot... Very Happy
I will be investing in a bellows set as I want to try this lens out properly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
I was wondering what would be a reasonable price for a Hektor 13.5cm and visoflex "short screw" ? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier...not sure what a visoflex "short screw" is, I am guessing it is an adapter of some sort.The Hektor I bought for $87au BIN on ozebay....unsure if it is a good price or not...I had the money to buy it at the time and that is what counts... Very Happy Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hi Olivier...not sure what a visoflex "short screw" is, I am guessing it is an adapter of some sort.The Hektor I bought for $87au BIN on ozebay....unsure if it is a good price or not...I had the money to buy it at the time and that is what counts... Very Happy Wink

Thank you Moïra, you're right about price... Smile
This is what I'm talking about :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290580253076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does anybody knows wether it would be Canon EF compatible with adapter ring ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "short focusing mount" is for the Visoflex I which had a lengthy body - longer than the register on an EOS. You might actually need an extension tube to get get ininity focus - !

At around 170 Euros, it's not really cheap. Good Hektors can still be bought for well under £100 - typically nearer £75. A bellows unit should be available for less than £30 and would allow much greater flexibility, at the expense of some reduced convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen for these informations. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian bellows in M42 or M39 can be had very cheaply, I have three, paid less than 6ukp for each.