Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Damn the macro ratios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Damn the macro ratios Reply with quote

So I bought myself a popular lens that supposedly offers a (near) 1:2 macro ratio.

When I look through the view finder with the lens at it's maximum extension (minimum focal distance) I am able to capture about 80mm of a ruler keeping it in focus. According to this (interesting) article, I should divide that for the width of my APS-C sensor, which is about 22mm.

Funny thing is, since 80 divided by 22 gives me 3.6 we are talking about an almost 1:4 ratio, so why in the hell do people call this lens a "macro capable lens"?

Right now I am feeling disappointed since I was looking to get a macro lens and avoid carrying macro tubes, not another 50mm which I don't need anyway.

Do you guys have any good way of telling magnification ratios despite the sensor size? Care to explain?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you math are right
a 1:2 should view 72mm on FF and 44mm on Aps
if you get about 80mm I can see only 2 answer
or the lens is indeed 1:4
or your dslr is FF and you don't know it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Damn the macro ratios Reply with quote

The magnification ratio of a lens is unchanged by the sensor size, so I too confirm your maths is right.

You don't mention which lens it is, but there seem to be three possibilities to me:
a. The lens is possibly one of those sold with a matched adapter - this is usually the case with 1:2 macro lenses which need the adapter to get to 1:1 (My Cosina is one of these but I've not got the adapter for it) I've not heard of these for lower magnificaton lenses.

b. The lens you got it not the one your reports are about. (Carefully check the markings on the lens)

c. The reports you got your information from are wrong.

Not much help I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just go out with that lens and take photographs? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

That's a strange idea....! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Gods no!

You could scratch it! Even worse: No matter what you do with it, it will always lose it's "mint" or "new" condition, as soon as you use it.

Better seal it in plastic and place it right next to your collection of ultra rare Transformers action figurines.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the lens with a specific purpose in mind and I have no interest whatsoever in using it if it will not be up to my needs. I rather sell it because I am not a lens collector.

As a matter of fact I actually took it with me on summer vacations and was by far the one I used the most.

I am talking about an Industar 61 L/Z MC, since I managed to ruin the preset (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) now I also have to deal with a VERY badly scratched rear element where the coating is almost all gone. The seller only mentioned "cleaning marks on rear element" though. It's a mess!

On top of not making the 1:2 ratio I found the lens to be soft wide open @ 2.8 and I am comparing it to the 135mm preset Pentacon which is not suposed to be the sharpest to begin with. I gotta make some more tests though.

Thanks for the inputs.