Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How many versions of the Canon FL 58/1.2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: How many versions of the Canon FL 58/1.2? Reply with quote

How many versions are there of the Canon FL 58/1.2?

This site indicates 2 versions but with little further info.
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fl/data/19-85/fl_58_12v1.html
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fl/data/19-85/fl_58_12v2.html

Some lenses from that era were actually marked as version "II". Does anyone have pics of an FL 58/1.2 marked as such or any info about the differences between the versions.

TIA

JJ

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one but it has no markings either I or II.
all i can say is it is one heavy lens on my camera body!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded both URLs and centered them to the same spot, then clicked back and forth between them. The only thing that changes is the title of the lens and the year that it was made. Everything else, including the photo, is the same.

So I'm figuring it was a minor difference, and probably not one you'd notice.

Some months ago I sold a Canon EF 28-80mm lens because I had two. One was a II and one was a III. I could not for the life of me find any difference at all between the two lenses, just holding them in my hands and looking at them. But the III was sharper than the II so I sold the II. I don't know, though -- this sharpness difference may have just been the difference between two lenses and not necessarily two series. So all I'm saying is don't assume that a II is gonna necessarily be better than a I.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the date of release, seems to be very little difference between the two. Maybe it IS purely a date/serial number thing?

Unfortunately, I have the 55mm f1.2, so can't help with markings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I loaded both URLs and centered them to the same spot, then clicked back and forth between them. The only thing that changes is the title of the lens and the year that it was made. Everything else, including the photo, is the same.

So I'm figuring it was a minor difference, and probably not one you'd notice.

It's easy to assume that there's no optical difference but there seems to be very little information about it on the web, which I find a little surprising, so unfortunately all we can do is assume. It would be nice to know either way.

JJ