Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tilt-shift suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Tilt-shift suggestions Reply with quote

I have tried freelensing but I have been having an hard time avoiding vignetting.

Since I cannot afford a dedicated tilt-shifting lens I need some suggestions on good (and cheap!) lenses that can do the job by freelensing. I have read that medium-format lenses are the ideal choice since it will put vignetting away but from what I have found on eBay it is not easy to find cheap ones.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of cheap Mamiya M645 lenses at KEH.com in the US.

http://www.keh.com/search?store=camera&brand=Mamiya-645-Manual-Focus&category=Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses&k=EmptyKey&s=1&bcode=MS&ccode=6&grade=Grade&sprice=0&eprice=0&r=SE&e

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any samples taken with the Mirex adapter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not emulate the lensbaby and make a flexible lens mount?

One of those telescopic sink plungers is ideal, glue a short entension tube in one end and fasten the lens in the other.

Lots of cheap old lenses on ebay that will have a big enough image circle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
It looks good.
While lenses are cheap the adapter is pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Thanks!
It looks good.
While lenses are cheap the adapter is pretty expensive.

A single Canon T/S lens, like a 45 or 90, costs way more than a Mirex. Of course the 24 and 17's are another matter.

JJ

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View cameras give far more tilt/shift movement than any adapters.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently working on a mount for this baby.

Rear element is about 70mm diameter, so tilt shift shouldn't be a problem if I want Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, John, the viewcamera use is very imaginative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Although not particularly cheap, another good option is a cheap view camera with a DSLR adapter (available on Evilbay, but I made my own). I have couple of Sinars which I use with various lenses, mostly enlarger, for product shots. Yeah, I know, Sinars aren't cheap but there are plenty of cheap options out there.

View cameras give far more tilt/shift movement than any adapters or T/S lenses and enlarger lenses are quite cheap too. My favorite lens cost about 30 dollars!

Of course they are not very practical for location work, but do-able.

JJ

Nice job! Show us some results, PLEASE!

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Rear element is about 70mm diameter, so tilt shift shouldn't be a problem if I want Smile

LOL! I almost bought that lens but demurred and got an Enna projector lens instead!

Good luck on the TS mounting, I'll show you what I've done with mine soon, it's quite crude but effective.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

LOL! I almost bought that lens but demurred and got an Enna projector lens instead!

Good luck on the TS mounting, I'll show you what I've done with mine soon, it's quite crude but effective.

I'm currently investigating the creation of DIY cardboard tubes....... When I get some results I'll post them Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Himself wrote:

I only have a Mirex adapter for my M645 lenses, no normal adapter. I use it with 35 N, 45 N, 55 N, 80 N, 110 N, 120 A and 150 A Maiya M645 lenses.

These are some images that are already hosted some where so are easy to link to. I use it for work quite a lot, detail shots of cars etc, usually with 80/2.8 or 120/4 A but they all get a gig from time to time. Love the Mamiya/Mirex combo, really do. It can't do everything, but it's enough for me.

Mamiya 35/3.5 N with Mirex

Great shots, or better said: compositions!

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The medium-format lenses I have found are not that cheap actually, all of them cost more than any of the consumer format lenses I have bought to date.

I assume not all projector lenses are suitable (for avoiding vignetting), how do you guys pick them from the rest?

Thanks for the contributions so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cistron wrote:
Wow, John, the viewcamera use is very imaginative.

Thanks!

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
The medium-format lenses I have found are not that cheap actually, all of them cost more than any of the consumer format lenses I have bought to date.

I assume not all projector lenses are suitable (for avoiding vignetting), how do you guys pick them from the rest?

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Enlarger and projector lenses can some times be the same thing but projector lenses don't always have an adjustable aperture. Kodak used the term "Projection", instead of "Enlarging", for their enlarging lenses until the WWII years.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MF lenses do tend to be more expensive than a lot of 35mm lenses, probably due to smaller numbers available. The Bronica ETRS 75mm lens seems to be the cheapest MF lens you commonly see on ebay.

I have a few lenses with large image circles I have picked up cheap - a Zeiss Tessar 16.5cm that is missing the aperture blades seems to have a huge image circle judging by the size circle of light it throws on a wall.

I have two Ross Xpress f4 5inch lenses that cost me 14 and 30ukp respectively, they cover 5inch x 7inch.

Then there are the Rodenstock and Schneider enlarger lenses, I have several 100mm or above and those seems to have large image circles too.

Projector lenses, I have a few, but mostly from 35mm projectors, not sure what image circle they have but I do have a Zeiss Ikon Orikar and a huge Rathenower Visionar that both have big image circles.

I need to finish off my TS mount and post some pics of how I made it, it was cheap but seems to work well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mirex adapter, would it clear the flash housing of a 50D?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
That Mirex adapter, would it clear the flash housing of a 50D?

I don't know, but you can email the folks at Mirex to check. They are very easy to deal with.

JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tilt-shift suggestions Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheap Arax adapter + cheap old Flektogon 50/4 (P6) on EOS
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=1134150#1134150