Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confused about the Screw Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Confused about the Screw Mount Reply with quote

I was looking around and I'm getting confused as sometimes I read Pentax screw mount M42, and I know I can go fine with that on my 7D.
But other times I just find "screw mount" no more details.
Other cases are like "Screw Mount (49)": does that mean that's a M49?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask the seller. 49 sounds like the filter size of the front of the lens. Unfortunately many private sellers don't understand what they are selling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if it's on KEH?
Something like: 135 F3.5 SUPER TAKUMAR (49)
unfortunately, even though there's a PDF, no mention about the type of screw mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Super Takumars were only made in M42 screw mount, so that's an easy one! Very Happy

First Google result shows that it has a 49mm filter size:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=277&cat=24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help ManualFocus-G!
I was asking about a good cheap 135mm a few times ago, still haven't bought anything actually.
This seems to be really cheap, probably I could give it a try. For about 40 bucks it could be a good deal.
Currently I'm also keeping an eye on a Soligor 135 and an Helios 135, both a little more expensive than the Super Takumar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdesopo wrote:
Thank you for your help ManualFocus-G!
I was asking about a good cheap 135mm a few times ago, still haven't bought anything actually.
This seems to be really cheap, probably I could give it a try. For about 40 bucks it could be a good deal.
Currently I'm also keeping an eye on a Soligor 135 and an Helios 135, both a little more expensive than the Super Takumar.

If you are after an inxpensive 135mm, I was pleasantly surprised by a HOYA zoom I took out the other day. Ebay seems to have quite a few Hoya 135mm's available. I would say worth a punt for around a tenner Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an SMC Takumar 135/3.5 recently in mint condition with original case and hood for £11 - there are good bargains still to be had Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more 135mm choices than just about any other focal length, except maybe 50mm. Have we had this conversation before? It seemed familiar when I said that. In the slower category, there are the Jupiter and Zeiss lenses which I would expect to be superior to the Takumar. The Vivitar Komine is as common and inexpensive as they come and quite decent, not to mention faster at f/2.8. M42 may be a tad harder to find though, but any Vivitar screw mount will be M42.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****but any Vivitar screw mount will be M42.****

..but watch out for that damn annoying M42 "T" mount thread pitch Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought extension tubes....

The seller did not specifie the thread diameter....
and i didn't bother to ask....

Ended up with a MIRANDA 44mm threads tube set,
complete with the reversal ring (4 claw bayonet/44mm x1 screw mount) !

Got no use for 44mm threads, so if anyone wants the set.....

Like ManualFocus-G said, next time i'll ask....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Just bought extension tubes....

The seller did not specifie the thread diameter....
and i didn't bother to ask....

Ended up with a MIRANDA 44mm threads tube set,
complete with the reversal ring (4 claw bayonet/44mm x1 screw mount) !

Got no use for 44mm threads, so if anyone wants the set.....

Like ManualFocus-G said, next time i'll ask....

Ah yes, but think of all those incredibly inexpensive Miranda mount lenses you can now obtain for macro work........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of cheap 135s, I have several, they are all at least accpetable.

I paid between 99p and 4ukp for them, 135s, as woodrim says are second most common after 50s.

If I were to suggest good 135s you can get cheap, top of the list would always be the 2.8/135 Pentacon, it is very common and often the later models are dirt cheap, especially PB mount ones. Very easy to covert these to M42.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If I were to suggest good 135s you can get cheap, top of the list would always be the 2.8/135 Pentacon, it is very common and often the later models are dirt cheap, especially PB mount ones. Very easy to covert these to M42.

What I have learned, albeit the hard way, is that there is a cost associated with the conversion of a mount, even if only the time value. I have dropped that approach for all but the unavoidable and am paying the bit extra for M42 when available. Now the only issue I have is infinity being a little off in many cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the 135s that I like (almost all cheap ones)

steinheil macro

mamiya sekor (all the versions)

fujinon (I saw the pics in the forum and it's a very nice lens)

CZJ old zebra non MC

Takumars, old of them

Among the best for me in M42.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
There are more 135mm choices than just about any other focal length, except maybe 50mm. Have we had this conversation before? It seemed familiar when I said that. In the slower category, there are the Jupiter and Zeiss lenses which I would expect to be superior to the Takumar. The Vivitar Komine is as common and inexpensive as they come and quite decent, not to mention faster at f/2.8. M42 may be a tad harder to find though, but any Vivitar screw mount will be M42.

Yeah, you're right, we already talked about 135mm.
The thing is I haven't bought it yet, but then I saw this Pentax and I was curious about it since the price looked really good and I thought to give it a try. But then again the Screw Mount was a bit confusing.
By the way I've got a reply from Keh, here's what they say:

Quote:
We've had a MX Pentax screwmount camera in the past, none now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I missed something; are you not using a DSLR?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Perhaps I missed something; are you not using a DSLR?

Yes I'm using a 7D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was responding to your KEH quote, which then seems irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well I was confused from their reply as I was asking them if the screw mount is a M42 and they said no more MX Pentax screw mount now. Thus I thought the MX they were referring was something different, but as far as I know it should actually be a M42.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up to buy a Carenar 135/2.8. Hope is not too bad.
I'll post something as soon as I'll get it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that might be the same as a lens I have in another brand name. It's decent, sharp and good colours but has CA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think that might be the same as a lens I have in another brand name. It's decent, sharp and good colours but has CA.

I see, even on a crop sensor?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdesopo wrote:
What about if it's on KEH?
Something like: 135 F3.5 SUPER TAKUMAR (49)
unfortunately, even though there's a PDF, no mention about the type of screw mount.

The number in parentheses in KEH listings is always the filter thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use a crop sensor EOS 10D. Far as I know sensor size doesn't affect CA?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought crop sensor does effect CA. Hm... anyway, if it does after all I didn't spend much money on it.