Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An 85mm question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: An 85mm question Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 lens (Samyang). It is very sharp and has great Bokeh as well as very good color to me. I would like to know if a Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 Pancolar or a 85mm f/2.8 Biometar would give an improvement for portraits. The Viv is sometimes too sharp. Pancolars are way expensive but the Biometars can be bought for a reasonable amount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no. Pancolar 80 is a top lens , I don't think so really need a top lens for good portraits.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/czj_pancolar_80mm_f1_8/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/portrait/?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep what you have, Dawg, it's a good lens and you can always blur it a tad. I think you need a motorcycle instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are probably not interrested in sharper lens than your Vivitar, I don't suggest any of them. BTW. Both lenses are actually 80mm.
Pancolar will be probably comparable wide open and sharper stopped down.
Biometar is softer at f2.8 than Pancolar, but improves significantly already @f4.

Elmarit 2.8/90 or Sonnar 2.8/85 are even sharper than Tamron 90mm macros wide open.

Summicron 2/90 is @f2 only marginally softer than Vivitar @f1.4 but stopped down to f4-f5.6 improves to level of Elmarit.

According tests, Planar 1.4/85 is comparable wide open and sharper stopped down.

Elmarit, Summicron, Sonnar and Planar will be improvement in terms of color rendering, but all lenses are comparable sharp to Vivitar or even better at same aperture.

If you want lens with more unique character, I'd suggest Helios-40 1.5/85 or as cheaper alternative Jupiter-9 2/85. Or you can experiment with some fast projection lenses, they are cheap and sometimes with unique glow. But you can use them only at full aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the suggestion to try a Jupiter 9 - a great portrait lens at a keen price.

It's a little soft wide open and sharpens up well from F4 so gives you some scope to experiment.

I liked it so much I bought two...!

Good luck with your hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Biometar could bring you the softness you want for some portraits.
My Volna-3 (a Biometar clone) gives me that with beautiful colours and bokeh.
Is the Jupiter-9 another Biometar clone ?

But I noticed that the Samyang gives me very good results when I apply color filters and play on contrast and light.

Last edited by Olivier on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some lenses very good to portraits.

Elmarit R and M 2,8/90

Summilux M 1,4/75

And my prefer, the cheap J-9.

I see thru he like I see thru my eyes.

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

I was talking about silver M42 version of Biometar, P-Six version can be softer.

Jupiter-9 is clone of pre-war CZJ Sonnar 2/85.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Olivier wrote:

I was talking about silver M42 version of Biometar, P-Six version can be softer.

Jupiter-9 is clone of pre-war CZJ Sonnar 2/85.

I am looking at the P6 Biometar. I do like my 50's and 55's for portraits with my K7. But almost all of them are too sharp for some types of portraits. Actually I've had some success with my 18-55 Kit lens but the longer focal length of an 80 (yes 80 not 85) Biometar if soft enough would work better most times.

Thanks to all for your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg: If you want to try a Volna, I have one needing some cleaning of fungus beginnings that you can have cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bargain soft portrait setup: a sharp lens in the 50-100mm range, mounting a +1 dioptre close-up adapter or an old Kodak Portra adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Keep what you have, Dawg, it's a good lens...I think you need a motorcycle instead.

Agreed...when the weather's nice,nothing like an early morning ride to start the day...or an evening ride with the sun going down...or a Sunday afternoon putt...and the photographic opportunities if your packing a camera or three....It would be hard for me to walk away from an old desired passion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Dawg: If you want to try a Volna, I have one needing some cleaning of fungus beginnings that you can have cheap.

I'm still undecided Woodrim. But I will keep that offer in mind. PM me the price plus shipping and I'll give it serious thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Keep what you have, Dawg, it's a good lens...I think you need a motorcycle instead.

Agreed...when the weather's nice,nothing like an early morning ride to start the day...or an evening ride with the sun going down...or a Sunday afternoon putt...and the photographic opportunities if your packing a camera or three....It would be hard for me to walk away from an old desired passion.

More delayed than put off for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a distinction without a difference?

It's often been said among the Nikon crowd that their 43-86mm zoom (which was universally regarded as pathetic -- at least the early iterations of it) made a wonderful portrait lens on the long end.

I know you shoot Pentax, but I'm just sayin' -- find yourself a crappy zoom that has 80mm or so in its focal range, and that may be all you need. Plus you likely won't have to pay much for it at all.

BTW, I ran into this same situation shooting some portraits of my parents with a Rolleiflex 2.8D. The lens was so sharp that they were somewhat put off by the sharpness. Counting every wrinkle and all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some preliminary test to my portrait lenses but mostly just for bokeh, sharpness & CA, and I still find time and model to do a portrait photo test and color test.

For the fourth row, I am still waiting for the Pancolar 80/1.8 from eBay.

I need your advice about what other test should I do and how should I do it, so the result that I will share and post in the forum will be very usefull and won't waste server space for too much photo files Smile ).

The first 3 are currently my favorit lenses Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my mistake .. it should be Biometar 80/2.8 ... not 85/2.8 .. Smile
I'll edit the text later.

Below is some test scenes that I've done.

By the way, I don't intend to collect all these lenses. Sooner or later I will find my favorite lenses and sell the others Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 ALWAYS gets left out. And for the record, its actual focal length is 87mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 ALWAYS gets left out. And for the record, its actual focal length is 87mm.

Thanks for the input. I'll try my best to get that lens. Wish me luck.

By the way I just tested Takumar 85/1.8, Rokkor MC 85/1.7 and Nikkor-K (pre Ai) 85/1.8. So far they all has the same rendering. Rokkor has slightly smoother bokeh.

I'll post the result as soon as I get the Pancolar.

How about the Volna?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Is that a distinction without a difference?

It's often been said among the Nikon crowd that their 43-86mm zoom (which was universally regarded as pathetic -- at least the early iterations of it) made a wonderful portrait lens on the long end.

I know you shoot Pentax, but I'm just sayin' -- find yourself a crappy zoom that has 80mm or so in its focal range, and that may be all you need. Plus you likely won't have to pay much for it at all.

BTW, I ran into this same situation shooting some portraits of my parents with a Rolleiflex 2.8D. The lens was so sharp that they were somewhat put off by the sharpness. Counting every wrinkle and all.

Thanks Michael. That is what I'm running into right now. My wife children and relatives are all at that "I don't want my wrinkles to show" age and do not like the sharp photos of them I'm shooting. I have several Vivitar lenses that I've tried and like some of the results. I've also been looking at Pentax soft focus 85mm lenses but the cost there is waaay too high for me at the moment and the reviews are not that glowing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nixland: That is an impressive collection of portrait teles that you have there! Wow!

@Big Dawg: Keep the Viv and try to find a J9. That lens is reasonably priced and has a very unique character. Use a long hood and it improves considerably!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife children and relatives are all at that "I don't want my wrinkles to show" age and do not like the sharp photos of them I'm shooting

have you try the vaseline trick
http://georgiamariex.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/soft-focus/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
@nixland: That is an impressive collection of portrait teles that you have there! Wow!

Smile .. I have an insane obsession since I was bitten by manual lens, drived by my extreme curiousity, that is to try and explore all famous portrait lens as many as possible. Not to collect them but to explore their character and keep 4-5 lens which character I like the most and let go the other Smile

But I am still not be able to arrange a session for portrait shot yet. I had plan to shot only a scene where I could do test for portrait (skin tones), sharpness, CA, bokeh, etc. at the same time, so I dont have to change lens too often. One lens, one scene, one shot. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'll try my best to get that lens. Wish me luck.

By the way I just tested Takumar 85/1.8, Rokkor MC 85/1.7 and Nikkor-K (pre Ai) 85/1.8. So far they all has the same rendering. Rokkor has slightly smoother bokeh.

I'll post the result as soon as I get the Pancolar.

How about the Volna?

All of those in your test are pretty much the same. Much the same results with my 50mm lenses. At full open the background is totally gone or almost so. I would like one that gives some softness of the subject but more background detail. A more blended look. I'm also thinking of maybe a 50mm f/4 lens such as the Flektagon 50 f/4 or a Tessar 50-55 f/4 or so. I expect a Pentacon 50 some day soon and maybe I will like it better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

@Big Dawg: Keep the Viv and try to find a J9. That lens is reasonably priced and has a very unique character. Use a long hood and it improves considerably!!

If I get the Volna from Woodrim I may not need to go further. If not then I will look into the J9.