Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bee on Lavender with Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Bee on Lavender with Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais Reply with quote

Lavender is in bloom, so out came the trusty old Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais, one of my favorite lenses. I shot this with a Nikon D700.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its that season here too. That a good plant for bee shots.

Good job on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 gives enough room to stay clear of the little thing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

It's a wonderful lens

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet rez

what does the 200/4 weigh?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
The 200 gives enough room to stay clear of the little thing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

Yup!
Lots of room betwixt the the lens
and critters with nasty bites and stings.

patrickh wrote:
It's a wonderful lens

I couldn't agree more

Sadly, people who seek the 'holy grail' of image quality will pass this lens up because:
a) It's quite sharp, but not as sharp as a ______________ (fill in the blank), and,
b) Under high contrast situations, it can produce color fringing (largely correctable, should one have a need).

Okay, it's not perfect, but it is quite good. What are they missing? Not only the long working distance between lens and subject, but light and easy handling, and silky smooth, properly damped, one-finger, manual focus.

I recently tried the successor to this lens, the AF Micro 200/4D. Yes, images can be a little sharper (though how one focuses is still more important than any small difference in ultimate sharpness). Yes, the color fringing is better controlled. Yes, for non-macro shooting, the AF works pretty well.

What are you giving up with the optically superior newer AF lens? Light weight, easy handling, and fun shooting. The new beast is much bigger and heavier than the Micro 200/4 Ais, and feels even larger than it is. (Ais 824g WITH removable tripod collar 635g without; AF D 1190g, tripod collar not removable--that's a BIG difference in weight, and the AF D isn't any faster).

Oh, and they'll be parting with an additional $1,000 to $1,500 over the price of the Ais. Frankly, I can think of things--including other lenses--I'd rather spend that money on.

On the other hand, since lots of people pass on this lens, it keeps the price relatively low.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was taking pictures of bees and lavender, a horse cart parked nearby. Changing the focus, I snapped a quick pic of one of the horses.

The Micro 200/4 also is quite sharp at medium distances.