Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai Reply with quote

While playing with my 28/2 Ai, I thought I'd take a couple quick pictures of a Hibiscus flower--when a flower is big enough, even a 28mm can be used for closeup. While the 28/2.8 Ais (which I do not have) has a reputation for being Nikon's sharpest 28mm, I really can't complain about this lens. Had I enough extra money, I'd pick up a 2.8 Ais and compare the two.

This yellow hibiscus was past its prime so the color is somewhat faded, but the texture of the petals really stood out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet.

I have that lens too and even got it CLAed.

Is there any extension tube that would get a 28 really close?

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
sweet.

I have that lens too and even got it CLAed.

Is there any extension tube that would get a 28 really close?

Smile

I have a "K" ring somewhere. I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
I have a "K" ring somewhere. I'll have to give it a try.

A K-1 ring is definitely worth trying! Smile

D200 body, 28/2 Ai, K-1 ring. Sorry, cannot remeber the aperture, probably
f/8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's very nice! I'll definitely give the K ring a shot or twelve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Had I enough extra money, I'd pick up a 2.8 Ais and compare the two.

For close-up/macro, there is no comparison. The 28/2,8 is the superior lens for this application. The f/2 is a better all-purpose WA (with the AIS version focusing even closer than the AI) whereas the 2.8, still manufactured after all these years, was a leap in design and excels at close to medium distances while delivering adequate performance for infinity focus/landscapes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai Reply with quote

james wrote:
For close-up/macro, there is no comparison. The 28/2,8 is the superior lens for this application. The f/2 is a better all-purpose WA (with the AIS version focusing even closer than the AI) whereas the 2.8, still manufactured after all these years, was a leap in design and excels at close to medium distances while delivering adequate performance for infinity focus/landscapes.

That pretty much fits with what I've read. Still, I'd like to compare the two. But then, I'm certain I'd want to keep both, and right now, I really need to thin out the lens herd.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Still, I'd like to compare the two. But then, I'm certain I'd want to keep both, and right now, I really need to thin out the lens herd.

In reality, they are complementary lenses when considering their optimal application and the 28/2.8 can be had for a modest sum. Nice to have a 'herd' to choose from. They don't require feeding, remain quiet and retain their uselfullness indefinitely. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Closeup With a Nikkor 28/2 Ai Reply with quote

james wrote:
In reality, they are complementary lenses when considering their optimal application and the 28/2.8 can be had for a modest sum. Nice to have a 'herd' to choose from. They don't require feeding, remain quiet and retain their uselfullness indefinitely. Wink

Yeah, that's kind of how I see it. That's why I have two 20s, a 20/3.5 UD and a 20/3.5 Ais. They are different and complementary.