Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 200 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Soligor 200 2.8 Reply with quote

Hi!

Some days ago I got myself a Soligor 200mm f2.8 from the bay! The seller had no clue, what mount an posted an image that was hardly explaining but the lens looked nice on it and as you can adapt most mounts to EOS, I took the chance and got it for 50€. As it arrived I was stunned! The Soligor is Nikon mount (already got the adapter... hehehe) and it looks as if it has just rolled off the production!

Here come some samples! Need to practice and learn the lens but so far it seems to have some softness and laking contrast wide open!

By the way, the mechanical quality is top notch! Better than my Nikkors and right up there with the Contax glas from my friend!

To illustrate the bokeh! Seems a little like my russian lenses.

wide open or f4, can't remember

f4

f2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens still was it stolen, I had same experience , not really usable at wide open. I think a usable wide open lens like Nikon 200mm f4, Takumar, Olympus etc is a better deal due they are lighter. Anyway it is a nice lens , congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of the lens itself ?
I'm wondering wether it looks like the 3.5/200.

Nice samples.
It looks soft wide open. Maybe needs some contrats enhancement ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here come some pictures of the Lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F4 samples are very usable indeed.

I'm not sure about the 1st wide one. It may be missed focus or motion blur.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is definitely missed focus! I just chose it to demonstrate the bokeh!

Which lens would be a better Option? The images at f2.8 are soft indeed and at f4 it is usable but the contrast is still lacking! How would an Olymous 200 f4 fare at f4? Anyone used a Mamiya 210 f4 in 645 mount?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my comparison of six 200mm lenses.
Super-Takumar or SMC Takumar 4/200 is overall best on FF, but on crop camera Soligor 3.5/200 and Jupiter-21 4/200 are great lenses too.
For wide-open performance and nearer distances I'd suggest Jupiter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn
Your Soligor lens is made by Sun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a comparison between these 200mm :
Jupiter-21 4/200 ; Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 4/200 ; Prinzflex auto reflex 3.5/200 ; Soligor 3.5/200 ; Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8/180.

With tripod, I shot the same subject with these lenses from fastest aperture to the slowest at Iso 100 on 5D MkII.

The best one is the Sonnar 2.8/180.
Second... the Soligor 3.5/200 (yes, I was surprised)
Third : Jupiter-21M 4/200
Fourth : Orestegor 4/200
Fifth : Prinzflex 3.5/200

Here is the Soligor 3.5/200 I'm talking about :

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I had the Soligor 200 f3.5! Gorgeous lens! Hate myself for sellin it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more practicing today and some more PP on these! The lens is really nice at f4 and has great bokeh at f2.8.

First two f2.8, last two f4.

What do you think? How would you process these? I did some contrast, blackpoint and some levels.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot better! PP can help to many lens and not really hard to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images look ok at web size. As you say the bokeh is good (aome may not agree, but I like it). With a bit of PP they do improve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin!

To me the images look worse in the web than they do fullsize in Aperture!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Jupiter-21 4/200 ; Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 4/200 ; Prinzflex auto reflex 3.5/200 ; Soligor 3.5/200 ; Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8/180.

With tripod, I shot the same subject with these lenses from fastest aperture to the slowest at Iso 100 on 5D MkII.

Your Soligor 3.5/200 is same lens as mine. I was surprised by its performance too. On crop cameras it's even better than on FF (high center resolution).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Your Soligor 3.5/200 is same lens as mine. I was surprised by its performance too. On crop cameras it's even better than on FF (high center resolution).

If it's the same as mine (Tokina made auto version) then yes, it's an excellent lens!

As for the OP's lens, results are starting to look good. Plus, it's FAST!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly I seem to get the hang with this lens! Here are some new samples!

first 3 are unprocessed!

And now here are two sets of pictures! First one is unprocessed and second one has some added contrast and definition!

What do you think?

By the way most of these images where taken at f3.5-f4!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boosted contrast versions look waaaaaaaay better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:

What do you think? How would you process these? I did some contrast, blackpoint and some levels.

I think you did a good job on all of them. The only thing I might have tried to add would be a bit of "fill flash" on the very last one, to bring out the guy's shirt a bit more.

I dunno if PS has the equivalent command, but I'm sure it can be done. "Fill Flash" is a feature in Paint Shop Pro and I use it quite a bit in situations like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd and 3rd sets of samples are far better than the first ones. Nice looking lens too. I've got my eye on a nikkor q c 200/4 at the moment. It'd be nice to see how it compares. Will post samples if I win it Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed with some post processing it looks way better. sometimes you just have to get used to particular lenses. in the beginning my first prime was a 50mm (on dx) so i got used to the 75mm focal length. after a while i invested in a 28mm which would give me a more "normal' focal length. it took me quite a while to get used to it, but ended up liking it better than my 50.