Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hasselblad lenses for use on a Pentax K7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Hasselblad lenses for use on a Pentax K7 Reply with quote

A lot of nice Zeiss lenses out there for a Hasselblad C and CF mount. I've found a Brass adapter for Hasselblad C-CF to P/K mount adapter. Any known problems with this adaptation? Will the lens function normally? The ad for the adapter states it will give infinity focus. Any problems with manual stop down of the Aperture or problems with the mount? Size doesn't put me off so a large lens is just one that fits me well!! LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280573964584&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dawg, wouldn't you rather try them on m4/3 Wink?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Hey Dawg, wouldn't you rather try them on m4/3 Wink?

HAHA!! No my friend. I'm Pentax to the bone!! LOL

Well...since I got no answer's to the question...I'll just go on my own.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how you go with the adapter.
I don't venture past M42 or k-mount lenses...although I did buy the Industar M39 mount and kodak signet 80 lens... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
let us know how you go with the adapter.
I don't venture past M42 or k-mount lenses...although I did buy the Industar M39 mount and kodak signet 80 lens... Very Happy

I have 2 lenses with the Pentacon 6 to P/K adapter and they work fine. I just wanted to know if the Hasselblad lenses had issues when adapted to other brands of cameras. I'll let you know after I try one. Looking at either a 80mm f/2.8 Planar T* lens right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!! Still waiting on more info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other really good medium format lenses apart from Zeiss to consider, some of the Russian ones made for the Salut/Kiev 88 are great like the Vega-12, some of the MF Mirs are highly regarded too.

If you're Pentax to the bone, why not get a Pentax 6x7 and shoot some film with the MF glass?

Other cheap but excellent lenses for MF/LF include things like the British Pentac 2.9 8inch and Ross Xpress f4 5inch and the Kodak Aero-Ektars.

I have two copies of the Ross and it's nearer to f3 that f4 wide open and is very sharp even wide open, which I believe it was optimised for. Has no coatings so needs a nice deep hood but it's a lot of fun and can be had for peanuts.

Certainly the Ross, Pentac and Aero-Ektar would rate alongside the Zeiss MF/LF glass of the same vintage in quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian. I'll look into some of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with Hassy-P/K adapters as such, but plenty with Hassy-Nikon F and Hassy-Leica R ones (mainly of Eastern origin, also including a legacy -Hasselblad- one). No issues so far, however I only own (and use these with) Hasselblad F lenses, not C or CF.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
No experience with Hassy-P/K adapters as such, but plenty with Hassy-Nikon F and Hassy-Leica R ones (mainly of Eastern origin, also including a legacy -Hasselblad- one). No issues so far, however I only own (and use these with) Hasselblad F lenses, not C or CF.

Thank you for that answer. How do the lenses do on your camera? Sharp? Good color? Any mechanical issues?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss ones (50f/2.8 Distagon, 80f/2.8 & 110f/2 Planar, 150f/2.8 Sonnar) most certainly live up to the expectations (incl. sharpness & colour rendition).
I also use many modified older Astro-Berlin lenses - mainly for b&w, not so for colour.
No mechanical issues with any of the above.

PS: strangely (or maybe not so strangely?), I do find all these performing better with film than on digital (that goes for my Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n & 14n bodies)...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
The Zeiss ones (50f/2.8 Distagon, 80f/2.8 & 110f/2 Planar, 150f/2.8 Sonnar) most certainly live up to the expectations (incl. sharpness & colour rendition).
I also use many modified older Astro-Berlin lenses - mainly for b&w, not so for colour.
No mechanical issues with any of the above.

PS: strangely (or maybe not so strangely?), I do find all these performing better with film than on digital (that goes for my Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n & 14n bodies)...

I'm looking at some Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 T* Planars. Your experience gives me hope they will work well on my K7. The Adapter costs 34 dollars US but it can be used with many lenses so that cost would be one time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread now that my Voigtlander purchase has triggered another bout of LBA !

I was trying to find a way to get the Zeiss Heliar 15mm into my K5 but that's not going to happen it seems so now looking for other options / lenses and that Ross, Pentac, Aero-Ektarand and the Hasselblads look very tempting !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ross and Pentac can be had very cheap if you are lucky, my first Ross cost me 30ukp in mint condition, I just got a second one for 10ukp that is in excellent condition.

Some shots with my first copy mounted on my EOS 10D:

I think those are all wide open, the last one definitely is.

I'm no great shakes as a photog but someone more experienced and skilfull could certainly get great use from these lenses, they are popular among the LF crowd and those guys are really anal about centre and edge sharpness, lpm figures etc...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Ross and Pentac can be had very cheap if you are lucky, my first Ross cost me 30ukp in mint condition, I just got a second one for 10ukp that is in excellent condition.

Some shots with my first copy mounted on my EOS 10D:

I think those are all wide open, the last one definitely is.

I'm no great shakes as a photog but someone more experienced and skilfull could certainly get great use from these lenses, they are popular among the LF crowd and those guys are really anal about centre and edge sharpness, lpm figures etc...

Very nicely done Ian.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogfish wrote:
Very interesting thread now that my Voigtlander purchase has triggered another bout of LBA !

I was trying to find a way to get the Zeiss Heliar 15mm into my K5 but that's not going to happen it seems so now looking for other options / lenses and that Ross, Pentac, Aero-Ektarand and the Hasselblads look very tempting !

Some of the Hasselblads are very inexpensive compared to M42 mounts. Also the Ross and others are less expensive. Good glass is good glass no matter the mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers man, I appreciate that coming from you!

I was a lttle nervous to suggest the old British lenses and Aero-Ektars to you as I know with your budget, experience and existing collection of superb glass, you need/demand the best, but I really think these old lenses are worth your consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers man, I appreciate that coming from you!

I was a lttle nervous to suggest the old British lenses and Aero-Ektars to you as I know with your budget, experience and existing collection of superb glass, you need/demand the best, but I really think these old lenses are worth your consideration.

I'm not one to turn down a good lens no matter the brand. Some of the older medium and large format lenses would wind up in the dust bin of history if we do not bring them to other's attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Some of the older medium and large format lenses would wind up in the dust bin of history if we do not bring them to other's attention.

Well, i understand and agree with you about this point ...
Nevertheless, i hope only that those medium format lenses will not reach the stellar prices of a Flektogon 35/2.4 Twisted Evil,
i'm just starting to enjoy some P6 lenses on my DSLRs Wink and would really like to grab some Hassy lenses at fair prices before it's too late ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good point, I often feel reticent about telling people about some of the nice lenses I have foud nthat are quite unknown to most.

However, there seems to be no shortage of the Ross and Pentac lenses, I expect a lot were made during the war for aerial reconaissance.

If I didn't need both my copies of the Ross (one I hav mounted for EOS, the other is for my 6x18 panoramic cam I'm working on, the Ross was originally intended to cover 6x18 so is perfect for the job) then I'd be happy to sell one on for what I paid, I don't have a problem with collectors but I do prefer to see old lenses put to good use, as Big Dawg says, they will just turn to dust if we don't...