Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Part 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: IR Part 2 Reply with quote

I think I have done enough IR for a while now. It might be time to drift in to the visble part of the spectrum again. I figured I had material for one more thread though.
Apart from the Nikkor 3.5/28 (which I think is a great IR lens) I have also tried to use the 2.5/105. A bit more difficult to get the focus right on the 105 but it is sharp also in IR.

This one is with the 3.5/28

Sheep in IR are still just sheep. Looks a bit cool wiht the light vegetation around them I thougt. The first one is a bit back focused. The second one is close to a 100 Crop. Both are with the 2.5/105

Cows are also just cows. Nothing dramatic happens in IR.

This one got quite noisy so it lost a bit sharpness to "Noiseware"

3.5/28 again

Abandoned farm house

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shots 1,5,6 are the money shots, IR does such a nice job with nature scenes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just WOW, WOW and WOW I love them all!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice look to those pics.

I've always found that water comes out black though, so I was intrigued to see some detail in your shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice.....! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!!!!
Love IR!!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Just WOW, WOW and WOW I love them all!

+1. A world unknown to our human eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys! Your comments are much appreciated.
I agree that landscape photography is the part where IR excels. Combine water, clouds and vegetation, and you usually end up with something pictorial.
I think it's the experimental part that's intriguing. Yoy newer really know the outcome of a shot. Also the post processing can give different character to a picture depending on how it's done.
In most of these pics I went for the blue sky concept by mixing the red and blue channel, but monochrome is perhaps a more correct way of treating the images.

Last edited by Sven on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures you have there Sven. The more i see IR, the more i like it. Sadly my Nikon D7000 has one of the strongest IR blocking filters so no joy for me Sad

I'm considering a D50 or D70 just for IR. What filter did you used on lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Today I ordered cheap IR filter, I wonder what will be in NEX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Today I ordered cheap IR filter
I hope you didn't waste your money. Usually the cheap filters from the bay aren't anywhere near their quoted transmission values.

The above looks very much like a 720nm high-pass filter, but probably in front of the sensor, not on the lens, since it is a converted D100. Very nice - I love IR photographs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, it's a 720 nm but it's on the lens. "IR converted" is perhaps is a bit misleading. I just took away the IR blocking filter and replaced it with a piece of glass.
I would have prefered to have a filter on the sensor but the ones I have located so far are more expensive than the camera.

I think a D70 is a good choice for IR (just as the D100) since the IR blocking is not very effective on them, so they can be used even without removing the filter. I suspect the D50 is similar in performance.
It's also quite easy to remove the filter on a D70. I have done it on both D100 and D70 and I recall the D70 being easier. There are good instructions to be found on the net.
I have also tried my D200 for IR but with limited success. Long exposure times even in bright conditions. A tripod is a must.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. I'll look out for a cheap used D70. IR photography looks like a lot of fun (and hard work and practice of course)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Great series. I'll look out for a cheap used D70. IR photography looks like a lot of fun (and hard work and practice of course)

Thanks!
I do find it to be a lot of fun (maybe not so much hard work Smile ). Gives me a chance to visit old venues previously captured in visible and capture them in a different way. The only apparent difficulty is that the viewfinder is black so the aiming can be a little off from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:

Yes, it's a 720 nm but it's on the lens. "IR converted" is perhaps is a bit misleading. I just took away the IR blocking filter and replaced it with a piece of glass.

Is this replacement a very difficult or risky job to do ? So far i do IR with some old compactcamera's. Converting something like a D100 or a D70 looks perfect for some further experimenting.

Stunning good pictures by the way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is this replacement a very difficult or risky job to do ? So far i do IR with some old compactcamera's. Converting something like a D100 or a D70 looks perfect for some further experimenting.

Stunning good pictures by the way

Thanks!
There is a certain risk involved with taking the camera apart to the extent needed for gaining access to the sensor. I wouldn't want ot do it on someone elses camera.
A workbench with good light and reasonably dust free is a good start. Precision screwdrivers of good quality is also necessary. Some screws are tightened quite hard and an inferior screwdriver can easiliy wreck the head of a screw.
I found that re-conncting the small connectors was the most irritating part. Would have needed smaller hands for that job.
Otherwise it's not especially difficult.

If you get a D100 or a D70 you can use them for IR without taking away the IR blocking filter. The exposure times will be reasonable anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info Sven.

Can D70 store custom WB? What lens on the wide or ultra wide end would be good choice for IR? Hot-spots free Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:
Thx for the info Sven.

Can D70 store custom WB? What lens on the wide or ultra wide end would be good choice for IR? Hot-spots free Very Happy

Not sure about the WB on D70. I don't own one at the moment.
Regarding IR performance of Nikkor lenses I would recommend Björn Röslätts lens evaluation page. He also rates the lenses for their IR performance http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1

The lens I normally use is an old AI converted 3.5/28 which is great both in visible an IR.
The widest Nikkor i have is the 2.8/24 and for some reason it doesn't mount on the D100. The test shot below is with the 24 but just held in position in front of the camera. A bit soft I think, but that could be due to the way I used it.
While I was at it I also tested my 1.8/85 for IR (test shot 2). Looks promising I think.