Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first try with s-m-c 50 1.4 on macro tubes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: first try with s-m-c 50 1.4 on macro tubes Reply with quote

I just went out and took some hand held macro shots with the S-M-C 50mm 1.4 @ f/5.6 - f/11. It was fairly easy to nail focus with the aperture stopped down, but I rocked out of focus for every breath, so I had to time the trigger with my body movements. Very nice colors, sharpness and CA control I think.
With a little more practice and a tripod I think this combo can be magic. Does anyone have a good tip on how to stop the wind from blowing the flowers all over the place? It is like spell put on me, whenever I plan to shoot the wind appears from nowhere...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fine series with a legendary lens. Love the colours and everything about them. Wind is the bane of all flower shooters. If you find an answer let us know.

You would probably find it easier with a bellows and the lens mounted in reverse. But be careful of flare.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: first try with s-m-c 50 1.4 on macro tubes Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Does anyone have a good tip on how to stop the wind from blowing the flowers all over the place?

What I would do: I would find the direction of the wind, then I would place the camera perpendicular to the direction, and use the help of someone (or a tripod) to hold a large polystyrene panel (at least 1m wide per 2m tall) to block the wind. It will also provide a nice fill light that will gentle your flower shots.
Alternative strategy: set the camera on tripod, control it with a remote, and hold the panel yourself.
If you don't mind the expense, you can replace the polystyrene panel with a lastolite one (expensive)

By the way: nice macros!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.

My solution on windy days is to not shoot flowers. Not much use, but it's just impossible to stop the wind completely and just the slightest movement at that magnification will ruin the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! superb artistic pics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind or not you did very well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last 2.
I have smc m 50/1,4, I used it with pentax ET. not easy to catch. My friend bought the ET. I prefer use volna to macro. or M42 tubes with zenitar 50/1,7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done! Great pictures!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look great, bright colours, nice and sharp!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for comments and tips.
I'm getting hooked on macro tubes. Great results from very cheap equipment.

/T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely. Inspiring stuff. I saw a set of k rings for cheap the other day but I passed. I think I'll go back and buy them tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set. Do you use a flash?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-halli- wrote:
Nice set. Do you use a flash?

No not in these images, just natural sunlight (no reflectors or such).