Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD new 85/1.8 any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Canon FD new 85/1.8 any good? Reply with quote

I just reserved a Canon new FD 85/1.8 from my usual dealer at a very attractive price. It seems to be in very good condition apart from few cleaning marks on the front lens, which are meaningless unless you are a collector.

I know nothing about FD lenses, is this a good one? I know the 1.2 is in another class, I'm not asking if this is one of the top 2-3 lenses in this range as those are way out of my budget, just if it's a good one.

Lens is identical to the one labeled "New FD 85/1.8" here

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/85mm.htm

Now I have to decide wether to keep it and ask someone to source an NX/FD adapters (as always, the only seller having it does not ship to Italy), or sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE:

tf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, from your pictures it looks like a great lens! Did you convert it to mount on the 5D, and if so how hard is it?

Edit: of course you converted it, silly me. Smile How much would it cost to have it converted, and would it be possible to get only the necessary bits and instructions, so as to spare me the cost and hassle of shipping the lens back and forth?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's very similar to the EF 85/1.8. Great sharpness, pretty good bokeh, and the same purple fringing, from the looks of it. That also means that the (more expensive) Samyang/Rokinon easily beats it in terms of bokeh smoothness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/85mm-lens-for-5dii-and-1dseries-which-one-t39828.html

which you might find interesting. I've taken delivery of an 85mm FL f/1.8 which I'm playing with pre-EOS conversion and offer a result or two here for you, both taken on 5DII using live view. Colour is pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

From your pictures and what I've read around it seems this lens is very sharp and with great colours, at the expense of less smoother bokeh. I think it will suit me fine, if I manage to find an adapter to mount it on the nx10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ludoo,would you mind revealing what you paid for this lens? Regards kryss.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi ludoo,would you mind revealing what you paid for this lens? Regards kryss.

Very little. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very expansive answer.