Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Early Nikon F battery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Early Nikon F battery Reply with quote

I just bought an early Nikon F -- the one with the non-TTL finder and the little round window? Turns out it takes a PX625 battery -- the old 1.35v mercury that can't be obtained anymore -- at least in the US. Now, I know that there is a 1.5v battery that is sometimes suggested as a replacement, and I know that it will work with cameras that have a bridge circuit to regulate voltage. I don't know if the old F has one, though. So, what I'd like to know is, will the early F work with a modern 1.5v battery and meter accurately, or does it need a 1.35v one? If the latter, because it picks up its positive connection from the side of the case, I'm gonna have to rig up some sort of adapter for my 675 hearing aid batteries. Until I buy one, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use two S76 or A76 or SR44 or LR44 batteries in the prism, metering will work fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
You can use two S76 or A76 or SR44 or LR44 batteries in the prism, metering will work fine.

Not this one. See the angle-of-acceptance restrictor sticking out of the side of the finder, next to the round meter lens? Beneath that piece is where the battery sits, and it's definitely a compartment for a single px625 1.35v battery.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. Those metering prisms aren't too picky about the voltage. Try this one, it seems to be a dirt cheap solution with an adapter ring that enables the modern, smaller size battery to be fitted in that battery slot.

http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know about him.

He's a good guy. I emailed him and asked if I could buy just the adapters without the batteries, cuz I can buy 30 of those batteries for $10. I even asked about quantity discounts because I told him I had about six cameras that take that battery (wasn't exactly sure, still am not).

He said sure, no problem, he'd sell the adapters by themselves and we could probably even work out a quantity discount.

So, yeah, he's a good guy, and I'll definitely order some of his adapters.

Those little batteries he includes are the same ones I use -- they're 1.4v zinc-air batteries. Don't last as long as the mercury ones, but they have a similar discharge profile. Only drawback to them is they don't handle cold weather very well at all.

What I did for this camera, though, was I got a piece of household wiring -- pretty sure it's 12 gauge, which is a measurement system that's used in the states, and if it isn't used in Europe, I have no idea how to translate it over. It's solid-core copper wiring, roughly 2mm in diameter (just the copper). I cut off a piece if it, stripped off the insulation, and bent it into a circle. Formed the circle around the 675 battery, then tried it out in the compartment. It just barely fit, requiring a bit of judicious pushing here and there. But I got the angle of acceptance restrictor back in place, and zam! The meter's working.

Now if it isn't picky about voltage, as you say, then I'll just try one of those 1.5v replacements also and see how it works out.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think none of those batteries designed to drain slowly tolerate cold weather very well? My FM2n meter becomes senile in normal winter weather here in Finland, perhaps because the two SR44/LR44 batteries are placed on the bottom, inside the metal case and there they cool down quickly outdoors.

cooltouch wrote:
What I did for this camera, though, was I got a piece of household wiring -- pretty sure it's 12 gauge, which is a measurement system that's used in the states, and if it isn't used in Europe, I have no idea how to translate it over. It's solid-core copper wiring, roughly 2mm in diameter (just the copper). I cut off a piece if it, stripped off the insulation, and bent it into a circle. Formed the circle around the 675 battery, then tried it out in the compartment. It just barely fit, requiring a bit of judicious pushing here and there. But I got the angle of acceptance restrictor back in place, and zam! The meter's working.

Now, THIS is what I like. Proper DIY attitude!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Px625 batteries are still available. http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/px625battery__32.html

Wein also makes a replacement.
http://www.amazon.com/Wein-PX625-PX13-Battery-Volts/dp/B00009VQJ7

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Px625 batteries are still available. http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/px625battery__32.html

Those 625s are alkalines and they're 1.5 volts, not 1.35. Also, their discharge profile doesn't work well with cameras designed for the 1.35v batteries. Check out this one for example:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/e625g.pdf

I know about the Wein, but why should I pay $6 for one when I can pay $10 for 30 675s, which are the same battery, just not as wide. I buy the 675s and make 'em fit. More fun that way, anyway. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I think none of those batteries designed to drain slowly tolerate cold weather very well? My FM2n meter becomes senile in normal winter weather here in Finland, perhaps because the two SR44/LR44 batteries are placed on the bottom, inside the metal case and there they cool down quickly outdoors

I had the same problem with my Canon F-1 late this past December. I was out in the cold, burning through my last four rolls of Kodachrome to make sure I'd get 'em off in time for processing. I was on my motorcycle and the camera was in a saddlebag. The F-1's battery is stored in the bottom, too. In my case, sandwiched between a Winder and the rest of the camera body. Whatever, the cold penetrated, and it was reading four or five stops too slow. Fortunately, on a hunch, I brought my Luna Pro F, which is powered by a 9V battery, and it wasn't bothered by the cold. So the day wasn't wasted.

I recall another time, back in the '80s, I was up in the mountains in Southern California with my Canon A-1. I didn't feel all that cold, really, but I remember my camera just suddenly shutting down and wouldn't do a thing again until its battery warmed up. And the A-series Canons use those 6-volt jobs that sit in their own mid-body compartment.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
walter g wrote:

Those 625s are alkalines and they're 1.5 volts, not 1.35. Also, their discharge profile doesn't work well with cameras designed for the 1.35v batteries. Check out this one for example:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/e625g.pdf

I know about the Wein, but why should I pay $6 for one when I can pay $10 for 30 675s, which are the same battery, just not as wide. I buy the 675s and make 'em fit. More fun that way, anyway. Cool

I haven't heard of any problems using the new 625's. If you have please let me know.I was thinking about ordering 1 to try.
I did the same as you made an adapter and use 675 batteries. The problem with that is they don't hold there voltage very well.
If you let your camera sit at all you relly need to pull the battery and check the voltage before use.

Also the price on 675's locally is $8 for an 8 pack. I did get lucky and get them for $4 at CVS on sale. For me it's a good option because I have multiple camera that use the 675.
Of course I could order the batteries online, but then you take a chance on how old they are. If you know of a good trusted online seller please let me know, for when I need more.

And thank You I haden't checked the voltage I thought the were 1.35.I
I looked about a year ago and I thought they were listed as 1.35 in the ad.
Must be getting old my memory if failing. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not an expert with the new 625s. But the alkaline ones are not the ones to use because of their discharge rate. There are others, like sliver-somethingoranother or lithiumwhatever that have better discharge rates, from what I understand. But they're still all 1.5v.

Now, some of the old cameras can use them without any adjustment. Like Pentaxes for example. From what I've read more than once, the old Pentax cameras have a bridge circuit that takes care of this problem regarding voltage sensitivity. Any other camera that has this sort of circuit will behave equally as well, most likely.

Other cameras, like Canons for example, are very sensitive to the voltage and don't respond well at all to the 1.5v. But 1.4v they can handle okay enough. And I've found, after monitoring my 675s over a period of months, that they seem to drop voltage to 1.35-1.34 and then stay there for a long time before dropping to the point of needing replacement.

I really can't report any problems with my Canons not holding voltage well. If you have a battery that is losing charge quickly, your camera may have a low-grade short causing the drain. Even though a lot of folks have stated on the net that a 675 -- or Wein, far as that goes -- only lasts for about 6 months or so, I've been getting a year or better of life out of mine with my Canons.

If you have a Costco close to where you live, try them. That's where I buy them at $10 per a card of 30. Far as that goes, I've even offered cards of 10 to members here (the cards of 30 are perforated into three cards of 10) at my cost plus postage. Didn't get any responses. But the prices you're finding are about typical for non-Costco prices I find around here. I don't think you have to worry about ordering zinc-air batteries online. They aren't activated until you pull the tab off them.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one of these battery adapter, which makes 1.5 volt into 1.35v
and its size is the exactly (almost, slightly thicker) 625 size.

The problem is a bit expensive. Very Happy
For some cameras, thickness may cause a trouble. Sad
I don't know if you can find it on eBay or not.
I used it on my Nikon F, which was given to my friend. But I got a black
Nikon F later without a meter. (for a collection)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...somewhere online I'd seen instructions on how to DYI such an adapter, by drilling out the mercury battery

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
...somewhere online I'd seen instructions on how to DYI such an adapter, by drilling out the mercury battery

Interesting, although the old, dead mercury batteries are probably in rather short supply by now because most have gotten thrown away.

Koji, I'm familiar with those adapters. For me, the stumbling block has always been cost. What are they, like $30 each? And I have six or seven (more?) cameras that would need them. I suppose I could buy them one at a time, or swap them out between cameras, but really I've just never felt the need until this Nikon F. And besides, it would appear that I've even solved its problem pretty simply just by using a coil of solid-core household wire so I could successfully adapt a 675 to its battery chamber.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 675 hearing aid batteries are the ones I use. They have the same voltage as the Wein -- 1.4v -- and last just as long, but they're a lot cheaper.

That is eBay Spain, yes? You might try your local drug store/pharmacist, or discount store, but that is actually a very good price. Here in the US, they're typically about $5-6 for a 6-pack at a drug store. But I buy mine at Costco -- a 30-pack for $10.

Anyway, I don't know what the battery chamber looks like in a Petri Racer. If the + connection occurs at the battery cap, then often you can just drop the battery in the chamber and if the cap has a spring, it will hold the battery in place. Else you can use an o-ring or a small piece of 18-gauge wire to take up the slack if necessary. But if the positive connection is made from the side, like the old Nikon F for example, then you need to use foil or a piece of bare wire, or something similar, to insure connection between the battery and the side of the battery chamber.

By the way, if you don't have a manual for your Petri Racer, here's a link to a pdf at Butkus's site:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/petri/petri_racer/petri_racer.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it a try, and see what happens. I've found that, in most cases, there's enough tension on the battery for providing a good circuit, that it doesn't move and an o-ring isn't really required.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what you need plus some metal thing (ring, copper thread) to get it fitting in the battery compartment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use PX625a alkalines in my Nikkormat, Prakticas and Chinon. They dont last too long but I take them out when not using them. Never any problems with metering.

I got 6 for about £2 on ebay

edit: Film latitude and processing will absorb any difference in exposure caused by voltage difference.

Last edited by philslizzy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

The advise was to drill out a alkaline battery of that size, not the very poisonous mercury version.
The alkaline is not too difficult to find.

look here for more
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter link from about 18 months ago now states that he's no longer making or selling the adapters, FYI.