Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One with the Samyang 85/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: One with the Samyang 85/1.4 Reply with quote

one of my friends, who is a painter, loves this one...

the "original"

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/image/135191443

C&C is welcomed...

Tomas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the butterfly isn't more defined - it gets lost in the business of the photo. Will probably make a better painting. For showing the brilliance of the lens, try a shot where there is an obvious subject where you can separate it well with that shallow DoF and great sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad the butterfly isn't more defined - it gets lost in the business of the photo. Will probably make a better painting. For showing the brilliance of the lens, try a shot where there is an obvious subject where you can separate it well with that shallow DoF and great sharpness.

You mean something like that?

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/image/135192903

But that makes the picture averagely boring Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first one. almost impressionist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a painter so these pics appeal to me.

I agree with the Dawg, the first one is impressionistic and I like it, would work well as a painting.

The second is technically a better photograph due to what woodrim says.

This Samyang has a very shallow dof so as woodrim says, subjects you can isolate with the shallow dof work best to show off the bokeh of the Samyang.

Some examples where I've tried to do exacty that:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what I was saying was that the butterfly needed to be MORE, not removed. If it were larger or in better focus it would have given the photo that extra something other than just business. The butterfly is what makes the photo, or could have made it work better. However, a painter can take the best parts and enhance the butterfly, making it a better painting than picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, yes i understand what you mean, frankly the butterfly was the subject of the photo. Just getting it in focus proved to be too difficult and after few moments it flyed away. Smile This is why in the second one i colsed the aperture to f5.6, when the white butterfly came by. As you say it would have give the photo that extra something. But in my opinion it would also made the photo a more common, normal, less original if you want. It s difficul for a non native english speaker to find the correct word (maybe banal is better). This way the photo doesn t have a subject (well almost), thus making it more abstract i think. One definition of abstract in photography and painting i like is that lines, shapes, or color have enough "expressive power", there s no need for a subject to make a photo or a painting.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no painter. May be thats why I fully agree with Woodrim.