Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which nikkor fast 50?....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Which nikkor fast 50?.... Reply with quote

Not the top performer. I want character.
My LTM Nikkor 1.4/50 and 1.8/35 both have wonderful glow and subtle smooth drop off when opened up.
The corners are soft and dark it looks perfect for what I want.
There is a need to get a bit closer at times so I'm looking to a reflex companion.
I just got a nikon fm2n and would like a 50 to shoot lo-fi b&w.
What do you much loved niknutz suggest ?
Is there a non noct f1.2/58 or ???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like all Nikon lenses, 1.2, 1.4,1.8,F2.0 all were just great. No matter AIS, NON-AI . My AI 1.4 was a dog , I guess that was only my bad luck.

Carsten have NON-AI 1,2 I had AIS 1.2 both are affordable and great lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a non-AI 55/1.2 and it's a cracker Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-55mm-f1-2-k-pre-ai-t31757,highlight,%2Bnikkor+%2B55mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretend you know these pages:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/index.htm

from what I experienced after getting 50&55mm f/1.2 zuikos, I'd go for some f/1.2 version

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see the "glow" and overall dreamy look in this frame.
Can this be found in any of the reflex lenses?

NK Nikkor 50mm f1.4 ltm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience if you shoot same subject same time with SRL or RF lenses you can't see much difference. RF is better than SLR is quiet a myth or not much better than SLR just much more expensive if come from a well known brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a pre-AI Nikkor-S 55/1.2 and a pre-AI Nikkor-S.C 50/1.4. They are both wonderful, but the 55/1.2 gives the Minolta 58/1.2 a run for the money...I have that also.

You can see lots of samples in the galleries here and on the web.

For me, the 55/1.2 really shines (literally, due to its softness and aberrations...) when you move in close.

I've just started organizing and uploading samples on a per lenses basis...and the Nikkor 55/1.2 is the first gallery I'm working on. Samples are here:
http://eggboy.smugmug.com/Manual-Focus/Nikon-Lenses/Nikkor-55mm...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor LTM 50/2 which probably has similar glow to your 50/1.4 Also owned 50/1.2 (Ai+Ais) and 50/1.4 (Ai), in my limited experience and humble opinion, I only see this kind of glow in Summicron DR. Um, I thought the Nikkor LTM 50/1.4 focus down to ~30cm even though there is no rangefinder coupling beyond 0.7m?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned 2 Nikkor 50/1.4s and yet to see anything special about them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.
Eugene I think I will try a 55 1.2 S. It looks pretty low-ish contrast and vignettes a bit nicely from samples I have seen here and there online.
The pics on your smugmug actually look much more modern. I'm guessing you give a contrast boost as i would also do for Digital workflow.
One of the reasons I'm using film. When I want low contrast B+W, Digital just looks wrong.

@ Polo
I had that f2 lens as well. The 1.4 and f2 do render very similarly so now I just have the f1.4 (an extra stop and one less lens to keep track of Smile ).
You are right the f1.4 has the un-coupled close focus ability.
The problem is when using the M5 first you have no focus un-coupled (I'm shooting human subjects) second, is framing in such close range.
A reflex view is much easier and more accurate inside one meter Very Happy